We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car for 1 month, driving to Namibia and Zimbabwe

Prague, Czech...
1 post
Save Topic
Renting a car for 1 month, driving to Namibia and Zimbabwe

Me and my friend are planning a one month trip in South Africa, Namibia and Zimbabwe. We want to rent a car and drive from Johanessburg to Namibia, spent most time there, driving to Victoria falls and through Zimbabwe back to Johannesburg. Can you recommmend any good rental company, which is reliable and can help us if anything will happened in any of these countries? Thanks

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,682 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car for 1 month, driving to Namibia and Zimbabwe

Avis has the largest operation of the companies in southern Africa. But you must ask Avis - not us - if they will rent you a car for such a trip. www.avis.co.za.

Edited: 12 April 2014, 14:14
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
266 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car for 1 month, driving to Namibia and Zimbabwe

We used Avis in SA recently and they were fine, we then got a car with Budget to drive from Cape Town through namibia to vic falls and had no issues and that's the second time we've used budget having previously hired a car for 2 weeks in namibia. I may be wrong but I understand many companies won't allow their vehicles to enter zim so you need to figure that out beforehand as you'll need paperwork from the company allowing it to cross borders. If it's just a matter of visiting the falls you can ask your accommodation outside of zim to keep your car and get a transfer over and back for a few days - people were doing this when we were there in feb and it's not difficult.

3. Re: Renting a car for 1 month, driving to Namibia and Zimbabwe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2015, 07:15