We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time backpacker in South Africa - help??

Hennepin, Illinois
1 post
Save Topic
first time backpacker in South Africa - help??

hey all! hope all is well --

my friend and I are backpacking from Johannesburg to Capetown. We will be arriving in Johannesburg on May 23rd. I've read all of the trip advisories for Johannesburg and South Africa .. seeing it's our first time backpacking. I just wanted to ask if there is any advices or sightseeing that we should do. we want to stay in johannesburg short as possible. on various websites they say that public transportation isn't recommended .. so how do I know if the free shuttle from OR Tambo International Airport to the hotel across the street is ok to use?

We will be using the Baz Bus on the Garden Route from May 24th or 25th until June 1st from Johannesburg to Durban, then Durban to George. In George, we will meet up with our internship staff for Oceans Campus in Mossel Bay, where we will be staying from June 1st to July 31st, so any suggestions around Mossel Bay would be helpful! From August 1st to August 13th, we will be traveling via Baz Bus again from Mossel Bay to Cape Town.

so any tips, advices, and warnings are welcome! i want to be prepared with information on what to avoid, bring, or whatever.

thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
139 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time backpacker in South Africa - help??

With regard to your Johannesburg there are various hotels close to the airport that do offer free shuttle services.If your hotel does not then need to get to Gautrain which goes directly to the airport,getting to the gautrain you might want to get a private taxi-there are various companies that do these just need to google them and check up on any reviews.You must of course know that safety is highlighted in this country,the usual locks on your belongings,not having all your eggs in a basket,being vigilant most of the time is recommended.Enjoy Johannesburg and the rest of South Africa

Mentioned in this post
Gautrain
Gautrain
4,986 Reviews
Johannesburg, South Africa
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
139 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time backpacker in South Africa - help??

Things to avoid carrying too much money around and in your wallet

Things to bring well autumn,winter will be on its way between May-September

In Cape town it will get rainy and windy a windbreaker and umbrella are recommended to bring with

Temperatures are coldish though not as cold as other places in winter so a few layers will do

Please remember to bring a electronic plug converter ofcofor your device as think the voltage is different here

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
213 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time backpacker in South Africa - help??

" on various websites they say that public transportation isn't recommended .. so how do I know if the free shuttle from OR Tambo International Airport to the hotel across the street is ok to use?"

I think what they mean by this is the local taxi operators in SA , this is the primary transportation that locals in townships use to get to work , its unsafe and they drive recklessly , I think this is what they talking about.

as mentions that other public transport pvt taxis etc is ok to use

4. Re: first time backpacker in South Africa - help??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2015, 05:16