We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourist train to Cape Town

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Tourist train to Cape Town

My husband and I are headed to JoBurg then to Cape Town in June! We are thrilled! We have business in JoBurg (mostly) and then we're off to Cape Town to explore.

I'm into "adventure" vacations while my husband is more into sightseeing and guided tours and cleanliness. We often compromise when we travel together, thus we have decided to take the tourist train from JoBurg to Cape Town. (We looked very seriously at the Premiere train but it doesn't run on the day we ned it to.)

My questions are: should we go ahead and reserve a 4-berthe compartment rather than a 2? I've heard that is the best way to go since you have more luggage storage. Also, any other general thoughts about the train? I know we need to bring our own bedding and that we can purchase food on the train itself.

Should we expect delays? And do the trains frequently break down for long periods of time? I've heard VERY positive things about traveling by rail overall, but there are a few reviews (mostly older) on TA that make me pause... Just looking for some current info! Any info is greatly appreciated!

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,088 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tourist train to Cape Town

Both the cheap Shosholoza Meyl train and the Premier Classe train get great reviews, and whichever train you use it's a great and classic journey through wonderful scenery..

Don't leave it too late to book, as the former train gets booked up weeks ahead - contact www.southafricanrailways.co.za as you'll get more sense out of them than Shosholoza Meyl themselves.

The trains normally run OK, maybe a small delay <1 hour, but breakdowns are certainly not unheard of, so don't book any tight connections at the other end just in case!

Edited: 14 May 2014, 04:18
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
171 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourist train to Cape Town

The 4 berth will have more space, and a bigger window I assume from the pictures, and you both can sit across each other looking out the window.

3. Re: Tourist train to Cape Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2015, 05:17