We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saftey: Area around African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel

London, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Saftey: Area around African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel

I am in town next week for business and typically after a long flight i like to unwind by going for a 30-45 min jog/run around the area immediately adjacent to my hotel.

Apologies if this is a naive question but is the immediate area around my above hotel safe to walk/run day or early evening ?

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,029 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saftey: Area around African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel

"Safe", yes.

Boring, that too.

It is a gated area, and as such, gives visitors the feeling of safety they seem to look for.

IMHO a very "plastic" part of Johannesburg.. ....not the "real Johannesburg" at all.

Many thousands of locals jog in complete safety, in their residential areas, in far more pleasant surroundings,

like Parkview, Melrose (NOT "Melrose Arch"), Birdhaven, James & Ethel Gray Park, or around the Zoo, or around the Zoo Lake, etc. etc.

This "safety" thing is greatly overblown, and I, and many others, are really trying hard to get rid of the misconception that Johannesburg is inherently unsafe.

It is no worse than thousands of other cities, world wide, provided one uses a bit of common sense, as one would when in any unfamiliar city, even in one's own country.

Enjoy your visit

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2,418 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saftey: Area around African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel

It's easy enough to get to one of the Melrose Arch gates from the hotel and then Birdhaven and the James and Ethel Gray Park are both readily accessible. Just note that the biggest danger is from our homicidal motorists: there's a quaint fairy tale that says pedestrians have right of way over vehicles turning but it doesn't happen in reality. So watch out getting across any of the busier roads. Also note that at this time of year it is dark by shortly after 5:30pm.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
450 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saftey: Area around African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel

Listen to Auntie! The drivers are crazy... on the flip side, make yourself visible, particularly if you are running after dark. I've nearly collected a few runners! Particularly if you are running on the non-major roads as there often isn't a foot path! A good option directly from your hotel would be to head up Corlett Drive and then onto Oxford (left or right), these both have footpaths, but there will be a lot traffic on the roads!

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Saftey: Area around African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel

Traffic is the major concern. When staying at the Protea Wanderers (just up the road) I've always encouraged my passengers to walk done to Melrose Arch for dinner, which they do. However, always in two's because they get back after dark.

Edited: 18 May 2014, 12:09
London, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saftey: Area around African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel

thanks gavin and all the other kind folk for kindly taking the time to reply.

i can totally understand your frustrations because in life inevitably "perceptions become reality" - unless challenged which was the purpose of my post and of course your replies.

personally im disappointed to be staying in a gated area.however i pre planned to spend an extra day in town and have already booked a private 121 tour to ensure i see the real joburg and soweto.

thanks again everybody !

6. Re: Saftey: Area around African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2015, 05:22
Get answers to your questions about Johannesburg