We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flexibility with Yellow Fever certificates?

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
517 posts
328 reviews
Save Topic
Flexibility with Yellow Fever certificates?

Before visiting South Africa, my step-mother, a friend, and I will be visiting Victoria Falls late this August. My understanding is that if there is a Zambian stamp on the passport, the tourist will not be let into South Africa without a Yellow Fever certificate. But the risk in Zambia in general is very low (particularly during the dry season), and the risk near Victoria Falls is non-existent. While not a major problem for me, my step-mother is 82 years old and the risk of receiving a live vaccine is not entirely inconsequential. And my friend with whom we'll be traveling lives in a rural area where getting a Yellow Fever vaccine is extremely difficult (they come in multi-use vials, and no one wants to stock it since it will go to waste if only one or two persons buys a dose from the vial). Will they accept letters from the traveler's doctor stating that the risk of the vaccine exceeds the potential benefit?

Pretoria, SA
Level Contributor
389 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flexibility with Yellow Fever certificates?

your step mother is no issue - a letter showing contra indication as over 60/65 (sorry can't remember which) is absolutely fine.

Lack of access to the vaccination for your friend however is no an acceptable reason - it must be contra indication on a medical reason. he/ she must somehow find the vaccination.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,368 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flexibility with Yellow Fever certificates?

Agree with the above. Don't expect "flexibility" from immigration officials. It's also not just immigration you have to contend with. The airline will most likely refuse boarding without it.

The solution for your friend is that you will have to stay on the Zimbabwe side of the falls only and don't enter Zambia. Fly to Victoria Falls airport and not Livingstone.

3. Re: Flexibility with Yellow Fever certificates?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2015, 07:24