We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodations/best sightseeing after Safari for 3-4 nites?

new york
Level Contributor
435 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodations/best sightseeing after Safari for 3-4 nites?

Will be arriving in Joburg in late October after spending 5 days in Capetown and completing a 26 day overland camping safari/adventure.

Can't imagine heading back to the US without seeing some of the places on my bucket list: Apartheid Museum, Robben Island, Satyagraha House, Soweto, etc.

Looking for recommendations for modestly priced accommodation in central area that is "safe" for an older female traveling alone and accessible to transportation or one-day group tours.

Not interested in mass-market chain hotel....hostel okay!!

Any ideas??

New York
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodations/best sightseeing after Safari for 3-4 nites?

Can't help you on your accommodations but just an fyi - Robben Island is in Cape Town not Joburg. You might want to add Constitution Hill to your list for Joburg. It includes the present day Constitutional Court and an old prison, Number 4, where both Mandela and Gandhi were imprisoned at different times.

new york
Level Contributor
435 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodations/best sightseeing after Safari for 3-4 nites?

Duh...I meant Constitution Hill....trying to retain too much info muddling my brain :(

Edited: 26 June 2014, 01:49
Herndon, Virginia
Level Contributor
44 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodations/best sightseeing after Safari for 3-4 nites?

I would recommend the Courtyard Rosebank. We stayed there in May and loved it, especially due to the great location. It is directly across the street from a big and very safe shopping area with all kinds of restaurants, stores, grocery, African craft market, and the Gautrain, which is very safe. I would be very comfortable being in that area on my own as a middle-aged woman and the Gautrain can get you safely to the hop-on-hop-off sightseeing bus that you can take to visit the Apartheid museum and do an hour long driving tour of the city.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
450 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodations/best sightseeing after Safari for 3-4 nites?

As mentioned above the hop hop off tour will get you to most of the places you've mentioned, if you add on the Soweto tour combo. I'm not sure if all of this can be done in one day but I'm sure if you planned things well using the timetables on-line its achievable.

Satyagraha House is not on the above tours, but you could ask your accommodation to organise a driver/taxi for you. You should also consider adding Liliesleaf farm to your itinerary (again would need a taxi), this is a very informative museum and central to the Apartheid struggle.

I can't really recommend hotels, but look up guest houses, these are usually cheaper and more personal. Also consider staying in Melville, there isn't any reliable public transport, however the Gautrain is the only reliable transport in Joburg and has only a few stops.

Alternative to the taxi, if you use Uber in New York, the service is also available here.

Windsor, Ontario
Level Contributor
190 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodations/best sightseeing after Safari for 3-4 nites?

Check out Ekala guest house and tours, they have great reviews, will customize tours for you, accommodation is at their small farm outside of J'burg, They also offer airport pick-up and drop off service. We are booked with them next month.

new york
Level Contributor
435 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodations/best sightseeing after Safari for 3-4 nites?

Windsoront

Thanks for the tip....I did not come across Ekala in my research! and will be contacting them for info.

Enjoy you trip!

7. Re: Accommodations/best sightseeing after Safari for 3-4 nites?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Johannesburg