We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Egypt Air to JHB

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
929 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Egypt Air to JHB

for my next two trips to South Africa we will use Egypt Air - their rates are simply out of this world (550 € pp in october, 660 € pp next july) and their schedule is great as well: very early arrival in JHB (7 am) and very late departure back to CAI (10 pm) - last but not least: from Germany, flying via Cairo means much less flight time than flying through Istanbul, Doha or Abu Dhabi

has anybody used Egypt Air recently? I hear their inflight service is not the best, but for these kind of rates I am more than willing to accept that

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,746 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Egypt Air to JHB

Once and never again.

Shocking service, flights were changed constantly (also inter egypt flights). At the end we had to fly to Ffm instead of the booked D'dorf. First did not want to pay the connecting flight to and from D'dorf. Then they booked us on flights late afternoon ffm/ddorf and early morning ddorf/ffm which meant close to 7 hours lay over.

After felt 1.000 emails they booked us on more convenient flights.

Thanks to Egypt air we missed the confirmation of my god child.

Thanks, but no thanks ever again.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Edited: 23 August 2014, 07:41
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
929 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Egypt Air to JHB

so far no changes on my october flights, booked almost eleven months ahead of time - on the other, we had constant flight changes with qatar airways

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,746 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Egypt Air to JHB

That's our experience.

We normally fly LH as when flying out of JHB they normally have the best rates, never any complications. SAA also never had a problem. Friends of ours fly Turkish often and are happy (but they are flying from Switzerland).

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Edited: 23 August 2014, 07:53
Leipzig, Germany
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Egypt Air to JHB

Hi,

departing from Germany I would only fly with Lufthansa or South African because they are flying nonstop.

Their rates are often similar. E.g. there is a current SAA special for € 695 to Johannesburg.

www.flysaa.com/de

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
929 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Egypt Air to JHB

yeah, we use TK a lot, too but as I've mentioned before, for a year or so Egypt Air has constantly been offering the best rates, at least from FRA

personally, I don't mind breaking a long distance flight into two legs

Leipzig, Germany
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Egypt Air to JHB

Hi,

what about reliability, sustainability and correctness ? What about missing connecting flights ?

As Abangane said, LH and SAA rates are more than competitive, and the airlines are approved.

So what is the reason to make your holiday needlessly complicated ?

USA
Level Contributor
49 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Egypt Air to JHB

Flew them in May in business class Johannesburg to Cairo then on to Istanbul. Nothing particularly memorable either good or bad other than the jackass in the row in front of me that put his bare feet up on the wall. Flights departed as scheduled. Didn't eat anything on board so can't speak to the food. I'll fly the reverse cai to jnb in September.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
116 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Egypt Air to JHB

I have heard many people that travel with Egypt air primary due to price and do not have major complaints .They are not as great in service likes emirates .If you are there for a long layover then I recommend getting out to see the attractions of the Cairo and hotel like we did.When we went there the airport didn't have the best facilities .

Edited: 07 September 2014, 19:46
London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Egypt Air to JHB

Hi. Have used EgyptAir twice - because of low prices. however, service is poor, food is bad, time is wasted on layover. we have decided never again...

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
929 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Egypt Air to JHB

@aanob

I don't know where you check your rates but I have been flying to ZA for almost 15 years now and never ever did LH or SAA come up among the five cheapest airlines, it always been TK, Etihad, Emirates, Qatar and maybe KLM

in fact, I have just double-checked for out trip next year

departure: July 11 FRA - JOH

return: August 08 JOH- FRA

Egypt Air: 653 €

SAA: 1.028 €

LH: 1.141 €

which means that three tickets with Egypt Air are cheaper than two tickets with SAA or LH - for this kind of money I am willing to accept lower levels of reliability, sustainability and correctness (if they are indeed lower)

personally, I neither mind breaking up a long flight into two segments; gives us time to stretch our legs and have some decent food