We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight International to Domestic Transfer

Alexandria, Virginia
8 posts
Overnight International to Domestic Transfer

Hello,

I am flying from Nairobi to Cape Town on Kenya Airways with an overnight layover in Jo'burg. I arrive from Nairobi at 00:15 in the morning and depart for Cape Town at 09:20. Ideally, I would like to stay in the Protea OR Tambo Transit Hotel in the International terminal to get as much sleep as possible before my domestic connection.

Accordingly, any insight into the following questions are greatly appreciated:

- Can I clear customs in the morning with the airline holding my checked luggage until my morning domestic flight? Or do I need to clear customs and pick-up my checked luggage immediately?

- If I can clear customs in the morning, what time should I depart the hotel to go through customs and transfer to my Cape Town flight (departs at 0920)?

Thanks!

Garrett

1 reply
Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
27 reviews
1. Re: Overnight International to Domestic Transfer

I may be wrong but I don't *think* you can use the transit hotel if you've entered South Africa and are not in international transit. Am alternative may be the city lodge in the airport complex https://clhg.com/hotels/152/City-Lodge-Hotel… . I've had no cause to set foot in it myself, but several posters on here use it and seem perfectly satisfied m

Edited: 27 December 2017, 19:20
Reply to: Overnight International to Domestic Transfer
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kempton Park
Recent Conversations