We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on locations please

Which Pretoria hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
284 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on locations please

Can anyone tell me if the following locations are okay please?

In terms of safety,and how close to bars,restaurants etc...

1.Irene,Centurian.

2.Rietfontein.

Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,853 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on locations please

i was at irene on december 1, 2008.

it is not near anything that you could walk too. the hotel is about 5 km off the "interstate" highway down a residential/business road.

there are two restaurants, a bar, a pool, and the rooms are big.

i would not stay there without a rental car if you want to go to restaurants.

craig beal - owner - travel beyond

UK
Level Contributor
284 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on locations please

Thanks

We are an all male group staying there for the Lions rugby tour,we're only there for a couple of nights.We'd be taking taxis everywhere,how far is it to the rugby ground-anyone?

Anybody know what Accommodation@vans is like?That's in Irene.

Pilanesberg...
Level Contributor
437 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on locations please

Accommodation@vans is in Centurion, not Irene. Haven't seen it but you are not really close to anything. I believe Irene Mall should be about 5 km's max away & you will find numerous (11) restaurants there - http://www.irenemall.co.za , as well as supermarkets to stock up - But then the place looks great, the rates are excellent and you have it self catering. At a guess the Mall should be about R60- R80. Loftus is about 12km's & should be about R120 - R150, all one way. I always try and fix the rate as I get in, rather paying more than not knowing...but it shouldn't be more than the top rates above. Best is to ask the owner for exact distances & taxi rates.

Rietfontein is slightly closer to the stadium. Going over the mountain with Tom Jenkins Drive it should be 6km's max from Loftus. Also 2 of the best restaurants in SA are closeby - La Pentola - www.lapentola.co.za - you can get delicious warthog & crocodile here, and Tonis pizza - look at her menu as it is really unbelievable... the blond girl on the home page is Toni - she's only 26 or something but man can she put it together! www.tonipizza.co.za/Tonis_Pizza_Menu.html

Even when staying @ Vans I wouldn't leave Pretoria before eating at both places!

Both locations are pretty safe - Enjoy!

Jaco Rautenbach ~ Owner ~ Adventure Travel Africa

UK
Level Contributor
284 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on locations please

Well we were staying in the Hotel224.Which I believe is not in a good area?Close to Sunnyside,which is apparently not very safe/nice?

I think this is a much better option-do you agree?

UK
Level Contributor
284 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on locations please

The better option being Accommodation@vans!

I was too quick on the draw!!!

Pilanesberg...
Level Contributor
437 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on locations please

mmmmm, difficult one. 224 is much more central - it's just down the road from the Union Buildings & about 2km's from Loftus. It is in Arcadia & is seedy at night. Stangely enough most prossies and drugpushers are based in Arcadia, not Sunnyside (next suburb). Lonely Planet slated Sunnyside but at that stage even the lovely student area of Hatfield had more tourist muggings/month. All publications then followed with the Sunnyside warnings. Just to put it in context it's very low.

Personally I would probably chose Van's. Though safety will be better, it would be for the fact that it is 1. self catering, and 2. have a nicer ambiance. It also depends what you want to do when in Pretoria other than going to the Game. 224 is totally acceptable as well. Give it a week for other advice but then book, as it looks like there will be more Lions supporters than we expect.

Jaco Rautenbach ~ Owner ~ Adventure Travel Africa

UK
Level Contributor
284 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on locations please

Thanks for the help..

What about Doringkloof,Centurion?

The Habitat Guesthouse specifically....?

Pilanesberg...
Level Contributor
437 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on locations please

Don't know that one but they have a couple of good rewards & the price is decent. Give me a couple of days and I'll put the Pta info in a nutshell.

Look at the map on http://www.qwerty.co.za/guest/ - Loftus is excactly between UP (University Pretoria) and Sunnyside. To the east up to the highway is about 6 km's and there are probably about 200 guesthouses here. They feed of UP, Unisa (Uni of SA), Hospitals, the Brooklyn, Hatfield, Menlyn business centres, the CSIR as well as State Departments, 100+ Embassies and about 120 NGO's like OXfam GB, so they are not necessary easy to find on Google, as most has either no need to be visible or otherwise they just not internet literate.

I would personally stay closer to the stadium if possible BUT some of the G/h's near the stadium already got overseas bookings last July. And of course all the locals visitors will also know where to stay, but probably wouldn't have booked yet. I know a couple of GH Owners closeby and they are booked out already. The more upmarket closer places in general (R750ish for a single) is already between 60 & 80 % booked out...... far busier than I expected, so maybe book a place as soon as you find one you like!

Jaco ~ Owner ~ Adventure Travel Africa

9. Re: Advice on locations please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 01:17