We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

distance to airport

Which Sandton hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
3 posts
Save Topic
distance to airport

Hello,

I'm thinking of using my points to book a room at this hotel for one night. My wife and I arrive into JNB from Botswana at 4.40p.m one evening and depart on an international flight the next morning at 11a.m. Could someone please advise me if this hotel is conveniently located to the airport? Would it be better to stay at an airport closer to the airport ( even though, if we stayed at this one, it'd be free)?

Thanks for you help~

Fred

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,588 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: distance to airport

Hi Fred,

You don't say which hotel you're thinking of, but if its in Sandton, I'd allow an hour to get to the airport. Hopefully, a local will confirm if that's realistic in the rush hour.

Presumably, you need to check in about 9am, so you could leave the hotel by 8am.

Hope this helps,

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
978 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: distance to airport

Yes please - let us know the name of the hotel and we will be able to assist.

Regards

Ags

California
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: distance to airport

thanks Peter and Gemini for getting back and apologies for not mentioning the hotel. I thought I was posting on the Hilton Sandton forum..that being the hotel.

Could you also give me an estimate of cost to and from the airport? If it's going to be expensive enough to mitigate the benefits of a free night, perhaps we may want to consider just staying closer to the airport...all thoughts/advise and suggestions are welcomed

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
978 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: distance to airport

The Hilton Sandton is about 35-40kms to OR Tambo. The airport is in the east and the Hilton is north.

If your flight is at 11am then you will need to check in for that flight no later than 9am - assuming this is mid-week, the traffic on the highway to the airport at that time of the morning is madness and it's difficult to say exactly how long it would take to get there, but allow an hour. But I'm sure either the hotel or a shuttle service will know what time to leave to get you to the airport for 9am.

Also, check with the hotel - you never know, they may offer a free shuttle, but if not, I happened to book Magic Bus shuttle from Sandton to OR Tambo the other day for my boss and the cost was R430.00 one way (for three passengers). There may be cheaper options.

If you booked one of the hotels closer to the airport, you would either look at a Southern Sun or the City Lodge group of hotels.

You are weighing up the difference in cost of a free hotel plus the cost of a shuttle servic versus the cost of a hotel in the vicinity of the airport. I think the free hotel wins and you just need to get the timing of when to leave the Hilton right.

Regards

Ags

California
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: distance to airport

Ags,

Sorry for my delay in responding...and thank you for your inputs.

I found another website on line : www.airportshuttle.co.za/container_rates.asp…

and their quoted rate from sandton to the airport is 330.00...so I think we'll be good!

the Hilton it is then!

Thank you for helping me make this decision!

6. Re: distance to airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2009, 05:34