We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

soweto tours advice

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
299 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
soweto tours advice

I am wondering who offers the best tours in soweto. we are looking for something that is a small group that gets to really see the people and culture. I think a big bus is too much like a herd of cows. we are interested in a day tour. I have seen www.tasteofafrica.com web site so far. is this the best choice?

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
680 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: soweto tours advice

Hi,

How about a bike tour of Soweto? Excellent one on http://www.sowetobicycletours.com/

Also much of Soweto's tourist sites are very well sign posted and the streets on any good GPS system. You can hire a car and self-drive.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
726 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: soweto tours advice

I am planning to do a self-drive. If done, how do we navigate through Soweto? Do we just walk around? Are there specific places to go and see?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,924 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: soweto tours advice

I don't think you'll get that much out of a self-drive.

You need someone explaining the history and significance of the areas and streets, and you need to get out of the car, so you might as well have someone with you who knows where they are going.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,924 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: soweto tours advice

See?

Hector Pietersen museum.

mandela's and Tutu's houses.

not many streets in the world have 2 Nobel prize-winners in it!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
8 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: soweto tours advice

No doubt Taste of Africa tours is your best bet. It was an amazing experience. Much better than a bike tour. This tour allows you to talk to locals and really experience Soweto. You will even be able to ride in a minibus taxi.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
299 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: soweto tours advice

we took the taste of africa tour and we have to say it was NOT good. we were extremely disappointed, we didnt do half the things that was listed and felt we didnt really see or learn much

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,289 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: soweto tours advice

I think you want to do a combination of 'do it yourself' and having a tour guide.

You can visit the Apartheid museum (not really in Soweto, but very close), the Hector Pietersen Memorial and Vilakazi Street (with Mandela and Tutu's houses) on your own. You can have lunch at Wandies www.wandies.co.za or Sakhumzi www.sakhumzi.co.za or one of the other places around there on your own. You can go to Maponya mall www.maponyamall.co.za on your own.

If you want to go the poorer areas and really meet the people, go to a creche or a school, it would be better to have a guide.

Edited: 14 November 2010, 16:09
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
726 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: soweto tours advice

Hi,

I just got back from South Africa. We had a wonderful time. We went to Soweto and the Apatheid Museum. Both are powerful sites filled with history.

I will publish a complete trip report soon.

Thanks all for your help.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
726 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: soweto tours advice

We did it all on our own. Had a fantastic time.

Thanks.

10. Re: soweto tours advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2011, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about Soweto
Recent Conversations