We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Way to see Soweto

SG
Level Contributor
124 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Best Way to see Soweto

Greetings all :)

Appreciate your advice pls:

1) May I ask if this City Sightseeing BIg Red open top Hop On and Off bus is a good way to see Joburg and Soweto if we only have one day? R 350 per person, includes Soweto tour

2) They offer a Soweto tour with pickup at Gold Reef City at 10am and return to same point by noon. Is that enough time?

3) Would you know if they engage a local Soweto guide? Do hope that our tourist funds can be given to the local guide and needy community if possible, rather than to the touring company

4) Any inside tips on how we can make our Soweto visit more meaningful? (perhaps by interaction and help to locals)

Thanks all, have a good day!

7 replies to this topic
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,137 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Way to see Soweto

IMHO:

The Ho Ho Bus is a good way of seeing some of the important areas of Johannesburg, but the Soweto option is, IMHO, not worth the extra money, as it lasts only 2 hours.

This will be a quick "drive through overview" in a taxi, and definitely not an in depth tour, and the taxi driver may, or may not, be a properly trained and registered guide..

A proper Soweto tour, stopping at all the major historical sites, and visiting them, will take a minimum of 4 to 5 hours, and cost more, because of the extra time, plus entrance fees for Mandela House, Hector Pieterson Museum, etc.

(Ask me how I know)

If you want a meaningful tour, with interaction. then you must arrange a proper tour, with a local tour company ( Soweto based), with a properly qualified and registered guide, so that you get the correct information, the "in depth", meaningful experience you are looking for.

BTW it is illegal for non registered people to give guided tours.

You should always ask to see your guide's badge, and registration card, before engaging them as a guide.

Enjoy your tour.

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
341 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Way to see Soweto

Hi Gavin. I noticed a post you did on self drive in Soweto a couple of years ago. Is your advice still the same in that it's fine to see the main parts?

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,137 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Way to see Soweto

Perfectly OK.

You will not have the benefit of local knowledge, insight, etc if you do not have a guide, but it is entirely possible.

You will need a good map, and a GPS because Soweto can be confusing to the uninitiated.

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
341 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Way to see Soweto

Thanks for such a quick response Gavin. I hadn't thought about it as a possibility until a couple of hours ago but I completely accept your comment about not having a guide taking away from the visit. Just trying to balance so many things I want to see at the moment! Thanks again

Atlanta
Level Contributor
789 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Way to see Soweto

I just booked a private 4-hour Soweto tour with www.cashanafrica.com owing to the reviews on Tripadvisor. No rating under 5 stars. It was around R980 per person for us. I was originally looking for something more economical and Themba Tours has been recommended. They were R490 pp but the reviews on Tripadvisor suggested that there were sometimes issues with the various groups/people the guide picked up in the van. Overall good ratings though.

What everyone says to me is that Soweto is one of the major things to do when in Johannesburg (Constitution Hill and Cradle of Humankind being the other). Knowing that, I decided to splurge on the A+ tour company for their guide. I just don't want to shortchange my one chance to see an important part of SA history and cultural.

6. Re: Best Way to see Soweto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 March 2014, 08:35

7. Re: Best Way to see Soweto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 March 2014, 08:35

Reply to: Best Way to see Soweto
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Soweto
Recent Conversations