We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wine and supper purchase

Which Kingman hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
wine and supper purchase

In September I am going to Valley of the Gods and would like to stock up on a few bottles of nice wine and some bits and pieces for our supper. Is there a big enough supermarket in Kingman to do this , or should I get everything in Vegas instead? Last year I didnt realise that Utah was impossible to buy wine in a shop due to the very expensive licensing permits!!! Any help greatly appreciated as hubby did not want to be on a "dry" holiday

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wine and supper purchase

Yes theres a walmart there, a safeway and a few other little things. I don't know the exact addresses but you can google them. You will find prices in vegas probably cheaper and more selection though.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wine and supper purchase

Bashas' supermarket on East Andy Divine Av (route 66) is a large store with great selection of everything you need and more. We bought there red wine, fresh fruits and vegetables. Get Thank You card for more savings

http://www.bashas.com/

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wine and supper purchase

It is Andy Devine Av

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wine and supper purchase

Thank you both for your prompt responses. I will look in Vegas for a couple of bottles and then stop in Kingman for supper stuff and a bit more wine. Wouldnt want to run out. I want to take a bottle as a present for our B and B host who helped us out last time we went to stay with them and didnt know the score over the licences in Utah. Some fantastic Americans shared their wine with my husband ( I dont drink) and luckily he had some duty free whisky that he could share with them. Perhaps he can have a toast to them and all who post on trip advisor as he looks out over the desert!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wine and supper purchase

Hi

There's a very well stocked Safeway in Williams as well. First exit to the right from I40 and a mile again on your right hand side. Also a Starbucks and a nice drive through Williams. We stocked there a couple of times and prices are fair especially if you have a discount card or just ask for the discount. Also Flagstaff has all shops, or if you drive through Page, you can get all liquor you want there too.

Tet

Kingman, Arizona
Level Contributor
69 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wine and supper purchase

There is a very nice new Safeway on Stockton Hill Rd.in Kingman. Take the Stockton hill RD exit and go North about a mile (It's on the right side). They have the best selection of wine in town. Don't go to Basha's it isn't a very nice market..very dirty. If you are going to get alcohol in Vegas, check out Lee's discount liquor. It is a Vegas style booze store! It's HUGE!!!!! They have a few different locations...but the one on Sunset is probably the easiest to get to. If you are coming from Kingman, as you get into henderson (just before Vegas) you will see the Sunset exit (take a left). It is a few miles up the street, but well worth it. They also have a Trader Joes on Sunset and they are known to carry some good bottles too! Try the Charles Shaw (known as two buck chuck in the US) it is really good even though it only costs two dollars a bottle!

Have a GREAT holiday!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,049 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wine and supper purchase

Charles Shaw wines are available only at Trader Joes markets and are known as 'two buck Chuck' or 'three buck Chuck', depending on where you buy it. In the California stores it is $2 a bottle. Outside of CA it will cost you $3.

The wines are consistent award winners yet are still very economical to buy.

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: wine and supper purchase

Great lot of info folks, my husband is now a happy man. The directions help a lot and I am gettin excited about it all

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,940 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: wine and supper purchase

Valley of the Gods near Monument Valley? Bluff UT? You will also be passing through Williams and Flagstaff. Wines, including good wines, are sold in grocery stores in Arizona. There are supermarkets in both cities close to your route of travel, besides Kingman. Better wines would be found in Flagstaff than Kingman or Williams. BTW you won't find a supermarket where you are going. So, stock up on whatever you need.

How much time do you have for your trip? You will be passing by Grand Canyon National Park, Monument Valley and lots of other spectacular scenic attractions. Assuming you are returning to Las Vegas from Valley of the Gods (Bluff, UT), you could also easily see Bryce Canyon and Zion National Parks, and also the North Rim of GCNP, in the same travel time/distance to LV as returning the way you came.

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: wine and supper purchase

Hello Bobbear 43, We are going for 2 weeks starting in Vegas,Grand Canyon,V of the Gods,Ouray,Moab,Bryce,Zion,and back to Vegas.

We did the first part of this trip last year and it was at the V of the Gods that we ran into the lack of wine . We had I believe, stopped at a Bashas (dont know where) and there wasnt much there that we needed and certainly no wine! So I didnt want to repeat that again. We are coming back to that area as it was probably, for me, my best holiday ever. We had booked our hotels and thought that we would come over by Maxjet as it is cheaper than Virgin (by quite a lot if you get more legroom and my husband is tall) ,only for Maxjet to go bust. We then decided on a cheaper flight and to go to Cape Cod and the Adirondacks, but when our bank did refund our money we decided to carry on with this trip and do the other next time. That also sounds fantastic. We were lucky to get the money back as we paid by debit card, but never again. Too risky!