We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving Aliwal Shoal or Sodwana Bay in january ?

Amersfoort...
Level Contributor
29 posts
121 reviews
Diving Aliwal Shoal or Sodwana Bay in january ?

Hi,

coming january we will be travelling through South Africa and we have 2 (maybe 3) days to go diving in either Sodwana Bay or on Aliwal Shoal. We can't decide on the location. On the one hand we want to see sharks, so that would probably favor Aliwal Shoal. On the other hand, the chance of seeing a whale shark at Sodwana Bay is als very tempting.

Where should be go? We're both Dive masters, hundreds of dives across the globe, and just want to get the most 'awe' out of two days diving :-)

12 replies to this topic
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,688 posts
1. Re: Diving Aliwal Shoal or Sodwana Bay in january ?

Why not both?

The two places are not that far apart, only about 400 km by road ( mostly highway), less than 1/2 day's drive between the two. :-)

Amersfoort...
Level Contributor
29 posts
121 reviews
2. Re: Diving Aliwal Shoal or Sodwana Bay in january ?

We thought about that, but are afraid that just a day in each location is not enough. I know, 2 days isn't enough either :-) But 2 days gives you a little bit more time to explore a single location

Edited: 29 August 2017, 14:07
Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Diving Aliwal Shoal or Sodwana Bay in january ?

With your limited time I would recommend Aliwal Shoal. I am actually off to do a combo of Aliwal Shoal and Sodwana this week, but that is over 9 days. 7 days is about the minimum really especially if you have any 'no fly' to take into account.

In January at Aliwal it is Tiger shark season, you also get lots of bull sharks and so many oceanic blacktips they are like flies. I have also seen great hammerhead that time of year. The reefs are stunning and you have 2 great wrecks Produce and Nebo.

Amersfoort...
Level Contributor
29 posts
121 reviews
4. Re: Diving Aliwal Shoal or Sodwana Bay in january ?

Ok, I think Aliwal it is. How are the water conditions in general that time of year?

Amersfoort...
Level Contributor
29 posts
121 reviews
5. Re: Diving Aliwal Shoal or Sodwana Bay in january ?

Ok, I think Aliwal it is. How are the water conditions in general that time of year?

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: Diving Aliwal Shoal or Sodwana Bay in january ?

Good visibility and nice and warm :-)

Shelly Beach, South...
Level Contributor
275 posts
78 reviews
7. Re: Diving Aliwal Shoal or Sodwana Bay in january ?

If you have settled on Aliwal, then Protea Banks off Shelly Beach is also a great shark dive, only an hour south of Aliwal.

Look at the reviews for Aquaplanet on TA

Amersfoort...
Level Contributor
29 posts
121 reviews
8. Re: Diving Aliwal Shoal or Sodwana Bay in january ?

I know. And yes, Protea Banks is certainly an option!

6 posts
9. Re: Diving Aliwal Shoal or Sodwana Bay in january ?

Hi!

I am also going in January (2018) for only a few days diving (probably four). We have also come to the determination of Aliwal Shoal - where is the best place to stay and/or dive from? I see several options for accommodations listed in Umkomaas (south of Durban) for diving in AliWal - is this the best area to stay??

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
382 posts
28 reviews
10. Re: Diving Aliwal Shoal or Sodwana Bay in january ?

@ Jennifer G

Options to answer some of your questions here.....https://www.wheretostay.co.za/town/aliwal-shoal-area

Interesting to see that Aliwal Shoal is rated one of the top 10 dive sites in the world by Jacques Costeau!

You might want to consider ATKV Natalia Resort in Illovo Beach for a stay.https://www.atkvresorts.co.za/Resorts/Natalia/Natalia#543127-overview

Reply to: Diving Aliwal Shoal or Sodwana Bay in january ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted