We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pietermaritzburg safety and racial harmony

London
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Pietermaritzburg safety and racial harmony

Hi,

My wife and I are planning to work in Pietermaritzburg for a year. My two main concerns are general safety and potential racism - my wife is Indian, and I am white. How would a mixed couple be received there, and is she going to find life difficult?

I would appreciate any views on the above issues.

Thank you in advance

Cape Town
Level Contributor
209 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pietermaritzburg safety and racial harmony

I would suggest that you will encounter no issues whatsoever on the discrimination front. The fact that you are white and she is Indian really is of no consequence.

On the safety front - if you exercise common sense, you'll be as safe in PMB as you are in London.

SA
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pietermaritzburg safety and racial harmony

There are many people here in mixed racial relationships. Remember PMB has a university and so is surrounded by young and forward thinking adults who themselves are in the same situation. IT's a small town - you get to know people, no need to worry@all bout discrimination!!! YOu will not be the only mixed race vouple at all.

3. Re: Pietermaritzburg safety and racial harmony

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 22:23