We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria in KZN?

Hampshire
6 posts
Save Topic
Malaria in KZN?

As a follow up to my other post I'd like to check if we would need to take any anti malaerial drugs when visiting the Draks & the Battlefields in Feb/March.

The websites I've looked at aren't 100% clear on whether or not it's localised to St Lucia.

Many thanks

Mike

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,715 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria in KZN?

Mike,

I visited Rorke's Drift and St Lucia a couple of years ago. I would say that it would only be required for the latter, but I bow to better local and medical knowledge.

The trouble with malaria maps and websites is that the mosquitoes have yet to learn how to use them.

Peter

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,237 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria in KZN?

St Lucia northwards is the malaria area.

Drakensberg and Battlefields are not tropical and too high altitude.

Hampshire
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria in KZN?

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
781 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria in KZN?

Although the Drakensberg area and the battlefields are not in malaria areas we still get biting insects in the evening. You may want to get some anti-bug spray from a local shop and wear trousers / long-sleeved shirt if you're outside in the evening and you're susceptible to insect bites.

5. Re: Malaria in KZN?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 20:23