We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive Ideas--Mkuze Falls and Nambiti Plains

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,790 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Drive Ideas--Mkuze Falls and Nambiti Plains

Hi Folks!

Planning a return to SA--this time we're heading to these two lodges:

Nambiti Hills (3nts) and Mkuze Falls Private Reserve (2nts tented, 2 nts chalet)

Driving from Joburg. Our flt arrives 5pm and want to stop first night outside JNB to get good start next day. We've always gone the other way toward Madikwe, stopping at Muldersdrift, so this is new direction.

What would you do?

We can squeak in a stop along the way to either lodge on that first day. Any recommendations or ideas are appreciated greatly!!

We love history and culture, but I dislike being a passenger so I need some breaks.

How far apart are those 2 lodges in terms of driving time, please--I can't found my SA road guide--it's somewhere!!

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive Ideas--Mkuze Falls and Nambiti Plains

It is probably about 4 hrs from Nambiti to Mkuze as Nambiti is in the heart of battlefields country and Mkuze is on the other side of Kwazulu Natal in the beautiful St lucia/Hluhluwe area. The trip is through the heart of zululand you could either go around and take the Newcastle Vryheid, Louwsberg way and stop over at Ithala game park or Mbuvu game lodge or you can go the Ulundi way which is the heart of zululand or Vryheid to Mtubatuba, also heart of zululand. The trip is about 3 to 4 hours drive.

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive Ideas--Mkuze Falls and Nambiti Plains

durban-direct.com/ulundi/bed-and-breakfast Ulundi accommodation.

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,790 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive Ideas--Mkuze Falls and Nambiti Plains

Kim--good info--thanks so much. We don't really need a place to stay between the 2 lodges.

I am still looking for lodging options around N17, an hour or so from the airport. I have seen that people route thru Witbank and I don't know why. Am I missing something? it seems out of the way to head north.

I was hoping to find lodging before having to drive too far at night, since we'll be a bit cranky. We'll be flying business class and somewhat rested, but like I said, I'm not good at being a passenger....

Are there decent guesthouses or motels [convenient] along that route?

We can decide the next day where to overnight before heading to Mkuze then Nambiti. Maybe that Ulundi recommendation is the right one. We've requested info from La Picasso Guesthouse but no response yet.

Thanks again for all the help!

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive Ideas--Mkuze Falls and Nambiti Plains

Unfortunately I have don't know of any establishments outside of Jhb, Dbn bound but I am putting this at the top of the list for others to answer.

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
781 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive Ideas--Mkuze Falls and Nambiti Plains

Nambiti Hills is near Ladysmith; the best way from JHB would be down the N3 to the N11 turn-off - certainly not via Witbank.

About an hour's drive would get you in the area of Heidelberg, a nice little town but I don't know of any accomodation there. Perhaps by "bouncing" this post to the top again some locals up there can recommend somewhere.

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,790 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive Ideas--Mkuze Falls and Nambiti Plains

Thanks Rog, but we are driving from JNB to Mkuze not to Ladysmith (that will be the return route w/out stopover) , and therein is my dilemma. Hopefully, someone in the Joberg forum can assist with accommodation info near our routing on N17.

Rog--have you been to Nambiti Hills? or are you familiar with game viewing in that area? Thanks again to both of you!

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
781 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive Ideas--Mkuze Falls and Nambiti Plains

Sorry, thought Nambiti was first.

So, that's where your plan of the N17 came from then... If you do go that way, you'll go through Springs then Leandra, Kinross, Trichardt, Bethal, and Ermelo. After Ermelo it's the N2 through Piet Retief to Mkuze.

A pretty uninspiring journey with lots of coal mines and power stations until after Bethal.

Try www.ballynoran-lodge.co.za/ballynoran.htm in Trichardt; it's about an hour and a half from JHB - we stayed there overnight a few years ago before moving to KZN and it was fine.

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,790 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive Ideas--Mkuze Falls and Nambiti Plains

Thanks for the lodge referral. Good location. I've sent inquiry.

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,790 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive Ideas--Mkuze Falls and Nambiti Plains

OH Dear!! Email is undeliverable--domain issue? Tired res request and same thing--any other email contact for this property? Thanks again!

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drive Ideas--Mkuze Falls and Nambiti Plains

I think there is also still lots of road works going on in this area which will delay your trip somewhat.