We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel & Safety between Port Elizabeth and Richards Bay

Herne Bay, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
Travel & Safety between Port Elizabeth and Richards Bay

“ Safety issues ”

Sep 23, 2010, 9:12 AM

Following a short stay at a Game Reserve, my wife and I will be driving from Port Elizabeth to Richards Bay in October/November, are there any safety issues on this route?

Are credit cards or debit cards better than carrying cash and can they be used widely? We have been warned that petrol stations will only accept cash, is this the norm?

Does anyone have advice on particularly essential clothing/footware that we should take other than sensible walking boots?

What is a reasonable budget for eating out in the evening, indeed is it safe to wander around at night?

Any do's and don'ts that we should be aware of?

David & Lynne, East Kent. UK

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel & Safety between Port Elizabeth and Richards Bay

It is perfectly safe to drive from PE to Richards Bay. I assume that you are travelling through the Transkei and if so just be aware of live stock on the roads. I would suggest a stopover somewhere, however if you choose to drive right through to Richards Bay it will be a long and gruelling day. Credit cards are not widely accepted at Petrol Stations so cash is king in this instance. Otherwise credit cards are widely accepted everywhere. The more rural areas you may want to take some cash with you. Safety at night, it depends on where you are going to be walking around. Check with your lodge that you are staying at for safety issues.

meals, take away burgers and chips about R35, steak +_R90 to R120, depending on the cut, pasta dishes +- R50, beer +-R15, cuppaccino +_R18 - R24, Those are average prices and may change from establishment to establishment. Have a great time!

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Herne Bay, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel & Safety between Port Elizabeth and Richards Bay

Hi,

Many thanks for the information you have provided, I thought that a sensible stop over after leaving Pumba game Reserve might be East London, as we don't expect to leave unlil late morning, do you agree?

David

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel & Safety between Port Elizabeth and Richards Bay

No it is not worth stopping in East london. For a fuel top up and a rest one should stop at Umtata at the Engen Service Station and then push through to Kokstad or if you are going to leave too late in the day (night driving in The Transkei not recommended) then consider staying outside of Umtata. My husband stayed at Ebony Lodge B&B just recently.

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

4. Re: Travel & Safety between Port Elizabeth and Richards Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2011, 06:19