We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria pills for Tembe & Djuma

Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria pills for Tembe & Djuma

Happy New Year!

Do we need to take Anti Malaria pills whilst at Tembe & Djuma?

Thanks

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
782 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria pills for Tembe & Djuma

Both reserves are in malarial areas and you should take appropriate precautions. See link below for a map and other information - although it was 2006 the situation won't have changed much.

malaria.org.za/Malaria_Risk/…risk_maps.htm

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria pills for Tembe & Djuma

Technically, they are in the malarial low risk zone. However, it is highly dependent on the time of year you visit.

Tembe is in an area that the SA Dept of Health identify as low risk where "only non-drug measures to prevent mosquito bites are recommended". When we last visited, the situation on the ground was that there had been a couple of cases of malaria in NE KZN but these were people who had come from Mozambique.

malaria.org.za/Malaria_Risk/prophylaxis/prev…

I assume Djuma is the one in Sabi Sands? In which case malaria prophylactic drugs are only recommended September to May. The above site gives loads of info on different types of drugs, preventative measures, etc and is well worth a browse for info.

Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria pills for Tembe & Djuma

Thank you.

We are there in early April, 3 nights at each place.

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria pills for Tembe & Djuma

You will not requre Malaria medication for Tembe, although Tembe is officially in the low risk zone ther are various dynamics within this large area and Tembe has never had malaria ----- Ernest of Tembe

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria pills for Tembe & Djuma

We have travelled to the St Lucia area and Ponto Do Ouro Mozambique (party of 12 including kids) in recent months and never considered taking any medication. However mozzie spray is essential. mozzies not too prevalent at this time of year.

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria pills for Tembe & Djuma

Thank you for your advice.

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaria pills for Tembe & Djuma

Ps people living in these areas swear by dettol soap and if you can't find any, bath in a dettol bath, apparently it repels the mozzies.

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaria pills for Tembe & Djuma

Dettol ! We use that in Australia to kill the cane toads.

I knocked the bottle over on to a metal chair and it took the paint off that paint stripper couldnt remove, lol.

I'm pretty sure we can get Dettol wipes.

thanks for the info.

Cant wait to come over, wishing my life away!

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaria pills for Tembe & Djuma

My hubby used to use Avon skin so soft with dettol in. Don't know about the mozzies but it kept me at bay (LOL).

10. Re: Malaria pills for Tembe & Djuma

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2011, 07:17