We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day in KZN

Washington DC
Level Contributor
317 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
1 day in KZN

We are driving from Swaziland to Durban in Aug. We have 1 night in between. We are a family of 5 incl 3 teens. Do you have any accommodation recommendations for self catering and also what activity should we plan on doing?

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day in KZN

stay in the Isimangaliso Wetland Park in St Lucia (Stokkies draai Guest House) or one of the many guesthouses in the area or Cape Vidal wood cabins (which I believe are very rustic, though), or Mpila Tented Camp in Hluhluwe/Mfolozi game reserve.

lots to do in this area, including boat cruises with hippo and crocs, canoeing on the estuaries, horse riding on beaches, Mkuze wild fig forest tour, whale watching (by boat so be prepared to get wet), turtle tracking, Emdoneni Cheetah rehab sanctuary, Jozini tiger fishing, deep sea fishing. so much to do.

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day in KZN

I support that recommendation, but Cape Vidal's log cabins would be my first choice. Cape Vidal beach and the camp site is regarded by some as the best of its kind in the country.

These are superior in terms of setting, but not finishes, however. Do not expect luxury.

My second choice would be any guest house in the upmarket north of Durban, in the Ballito or Umhlanga area.

I do not recommend Durban central, downtown or main beach area.

Protea hotel in Umhlanga is a good middle of the range hotel in Umhlanga.

Edited: 11 March 2011, 16:05
3. Re: 1 day in KZN

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 13:18