We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 night Richards Bay or St. Lucia

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
64 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
1 night Richards Bay or St. Lucia

We have 1 night this month before going to Phinda Forest Lodge.

Any recommendation on whether it we should stay in The Waterfront Hotel in Richard's Bay or arrange transport for 1 night to St. Lucia. Possibly b&b or like non-catering accommodaion ie: Umlilo Lodge or Bhangizi Lodge. We will not have a vehicle. We will have to depend on hired transport. We will arrive at Richard's Bay around noon, so not even an entire day's stay. We would like to see the ocean. Not to swim or snorkel or anything. Just to walk and appreciate.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,811 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 night Richards Bay or St. Lucia

Sounds as if you will be taken to Phinda by a transfer company. In your circumstances, I would either rent a car so you could drive to St. Lucia and see why it is such a special place - or chill out and enjoy the relaxed mood at Richards Bay. You didn't mention if you are getting to Richards Bay after flying all the way from the US.. If so, yes - stay there! Get over the trip!

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,113 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 night Richards Bay or St. Lucia

Just remember that Richards Bay is the second biggest Coal Exporting port in the World! Coal prices internationaly are quoted ex-Richards Bay! It also has huge Chemical and Aluminium industries. That's why it has an airport - not tourism.

Unless you are totaly dead on your feet go to St Lucia - a lovely esturary town at a World Heritage Site! Also agree with Dave to rent a car - 40 mins easy drive.

Edited: 02 September 2011, 22:53
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,811 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 night Richards Bay or St. Lucia

Haha.. I am basing my advice on the possibility that these travelers have ended up at Richards Bay after a killer trip from NY or Washington, and sleep might be more helpful than anything else. If not - then yes, head for St. Lucia..

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
64 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 night Richards Bay or St. Lucia

Thanks. This is exactly what I need to figure out. We arrive the day before from DC to JNB. We are staying the night at a hotel very near JNB. We leave early the next morning for Richard's Bay. We decided because of the way other transfers and flights come in to play, to stay one night outside of Phinda (we are staying there 4 nights 3+1free) then charter flight to Sabi Sands. I thought, originally that I would be happy at the Protea Waterfront Richard's Bay, but I'm not finding a lot to do there. I really would like to see the beach. I just don't know if it is smart to spend the money to go to St. Lucia. I could probably have arranged for the Phinda folks to pick us up in St. Lucia, since they are picking us up at Richard's Bay anyway.

If St. Lucia for only 1 night, where would you stay? Don't you think it better to arrange transfer than to bother with car rental and return?

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,346 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 night Richards Bay or St. Lucia

Unfortunately, my knowledge of Richards Bay is limited to bird watching in the harbour area, which is in the industrial part and really quite ugly. I had heard that the actual town was quite nice, but I don't know.

I am not sure of the costs of getting there or of how easily it can be arranged, but consider Mtunzini www.kznwildlife.com/index.php… It is just south of Richards Bay and should be a lot cheaper to get to than St Lucia. It is a beautiful beach in a forest nature reserve, and you have a chance of seeing Palm Nut Vultures too.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
64 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 night Richards Bay or St. Lucia

Thank you, lamlee. I will take a look as well. I don't want to get too far for the Phinda people to pick us up the following morning. I have recently read that Richard's Bay is also a cruise ship terminal. Does anyone know if it is like most other cruise terminals with the little junkie souvenir shops? I was also thinking it may be our only opportunity to purchase any kind of gifts to take home. I prefer local crafts and jewlery as opposed to the knick-knacks imported from China. Since all of our time will be in the airport and airstrips and straight to reserves, this may be the only chance we have to purchase some things.

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 night Richards Bay or St. Lucia

Can't comment on the cruise ship terminal but on the way to phinda is a great African craft market so perhaps can make a drop- altenatively st Lucia has lots of arts and crafts. My vote would be to stay in st Lucia . Perhaps makakatana bay or one of the many bed and breakfasts. Cape Vidal is a beautiful untouched beach. Can also take a boat cruise on the estuary to see hoppi birds and crocs. www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,346 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 night Richards Bay or St. Lucia

go to www.maps.google.co.za - search for Richards Bay and use the orange man to have a look around - richards bay proper (if you ifnore the harbour area) really doesn't look too bad at all - and you would be there less than a day

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
64 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 night Richards Bay or St. Lucia

Thank you! Much appreciated.

lamlee, haha! I love that featured. I have used it on many occasions. Only being there for less than a day is why we thought it would be fine. Of course, now that our travel date is almost here, I am re-thinking. I want to try to squeeze every little bit of experience out of this trip. lol Crazy. ?

ProudlysaDurban (?Kim) Perfect! I have used the little google man to look at the B&B's in St. Lucia, too. That's what is getting me thinking it may be a good idea to head that way. Your note ofthat they have the local crafts makes it all the more appealing. I think I will look more closely into them. Any suggestions or experience with any of the St. Lucia B&Bs?

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
64 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 night Richards Bay or St. Lucia

proudlysaDurban - Do you know the name and where?

"on the way to phinda is a great African craft market"

The Phinda people are arranging transfer. I don't think we will have to opportunity to go there on our way to Phinda, but maybe we can go on our own on the day we arrive from airport. Is it convenient to St. Lucia?