We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isandwlana / Rorkes Drift from Durban

Llanfairpwllgwyngyll...
Level Contributor
307 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Isandwlana / Rorkes Drift from Durban

I'd really like to visit these places from Durban. Should I hire a car and do it myself or should I / Can I do a tour from Durban ?

How much is car hire in Durban please and does anyone have any info on the tours ? hope someone can help me as I'm really struggling with this.

Mentioned in this post
Durban
Durban
KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,125 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Isandwlana / Rorkes Drift from Durban

You can hire a car. There may be tours, but driving is fairly straightforward. You would need accommodation, which will also provide guided tours of the battlefields.

Car hire firms normally advertise online so I would check a few websites.

Certainly a great place for the Welsh.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
94 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isandwlana / Rorkes Drift from Durban

I've got the contact details of an excellent battlefields guide in that area. I was just with Mike Nel from Dundee with Zululand Tours. He speaks fluent Zulu and took us well into the Zulu areas that are not accessed often by other guides. Email him at mike@dundeekzn.co.za. He did an exceptional job for our group. He has a passion for his work. At least spend one full day with him. More if you have the time.

You can drive from Durban with ease in a rental car. Pretty drive. Check out Hertz, Avis, Budget, Europecar for a start. Car will run about 30 Pounds a day.

Richard Pace - Owner - Southern Sky Adventures

Mentioned in this post
Zululand
Zululand
Durban
Durban
Llanfairpwllgwyngyll...
Level Contributor
307 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isandwlana / Rorkes Drift from Durban

Thanks very much. So would it be better to do this over two or three days from Durban rather than try and do a day tour and get it all done in one day ?

Many thanks,

Mentioned in this post
Durban
Durban
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,125 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Isandwlana / Rorkes Drift from Durban

Well, we spent 3 hours just listening, fascinated, to the guide we had for Rorke's Drift (he was very good - from Fugitives Drift Lodge).

And we didn't have time for Islandwana due to a medical emergency, but that would be another couple of hours.

It depends on whether you just want to see them for an hour, or find out what happened in detail.

I would think an overnight stop is justified.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
94 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Isandwlana / Rorkes Drift from Durban

Per Peter's comment, it just depends upon your level of interest. Easy to put in a couple days or three. I would not do it in a day trip. A bit too much driving to and from Durban and during the tour.

Mike will take you into the local Zulu villages in the area in addition to serving as your battlefield tour guide. He likes you to meet the descendants of the warriors in battle. Unlike other guided experiences I have enjoyed throughout Africa, Mike's idea is a bit different in heading to meet the locals. He does not have a set village or group to meet. As he speaks Zulu he will head off in a few directions during the battlefield tour and stop in a village or two along the way. This is a nice way to get a genuine experience with the Zulu people. You can see how well the locals respond to him when he speaks their own language with them.

We stayed at Isibindi Zulu Lodge. Stunning views over the valley.

Mentioned in this post
Durban
Durban
Isibindi Zulu Lodge
Isibindi Zulu Lodge
153 Reviews
Rorke's Drift, South Africa
Llanfairpwllgwyngyll...
Level Contributor
307 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Isandwlana / Rorkes Drift from Durban

Thanks for the input guys. I only have three weeks in SA and I'm making my way from Durban To CT in that time, diving and safari so I think I could do a day or two there. Is there public transport to Dundee from Durban where I could meet up with Mike.

I'm a Welshman so Rorkes Drift is of particular interest to me.

Mentioned in this post
Durban
Durban
Paris, France
Level Contributor
858 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Isandwlana / Rorkes Drift from Durban

Scubajunky - If you are Welsh then Rourke's Drift/Isandwlana will be a very emotional and extemely special experience - I know from personal experience. However you should stay at least one night to have time to savour it all.BTW I'm orignally from Anglesey where I see you are from.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
94 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Isandwlana / Rorkes Drift from Durban

Highly doubtful on the public transport to Dundee from Durban. I have often used Intercape and Greyhound buses in South Africa and been quite pleased with the service. Timely and not expensive. Check them out online. I just traveled from Durban to some other locales via InterCape but the locations were further west in the Orange Free State. Did not get through to Dundee area on the bus. Email Mike, as well. He will help you plan your route to get to him.

Public transport in South Africa is about the best in all of Africa but not quite an expansive as that in the UK.

Mentioned in this post
Durban
Durban
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,125 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Isandwlana / Rorkes Drift from Durban

As a general rule, public transport is almost non-existent outside the metro centres.

There may be the Baz Bus, but I don't know much about it. Renting a car gives you the flexibility to get to these places.

There is so much around that KwaZuluNatal. We flew into Richards Bay - 3 days at Phinda, 3 at Rorkes Drift and 3 at St Lucia. Would have liked to explore the Drankensberg, but had to leave it for another trip.

Mentioned in this post
Richards Bay
Richards Bay
Phinda Private Game Reserve
Phinda Private Game...
St Lucia
St Lucia
Salt Rock, South...
Level Contributor
259 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Isandwlana / Rorkes Drift from Durban

Also try www.lennox.co.za, They are also highly recommended and used by alot of the self drive tour operators.

Cheers

Ian Gumbley

Owner

The Saffron House Guest House

Salt Rock

Mentioned in this post
The Saffron House
The Saffron House
133 Reviews
Salt Rock, South Africa
Salt Rock
Salt Rock