We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

week-end in Kwazulu-Natal

Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
week-end in Kwazulu-Natal

The 2nd week of August my husband & I will be completing our SA vacation. We will have already been to Cape Town, Durban/Umdloti Beach and a game preserve. We have one final week-end to plan and we want to be within a 3 hour drive of Durban. We will have a car. We are looking for suggestions and advice...too many places from which to choose. Do we head west towards Zululand (looking at Ghost Mountain Inn) or towards Drakenberg or back towards to coast to maybe snorkel near St Lucia or Sodwana Bay? We are open to suggestions.

thanks!

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
795 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: week-end in Kwazulu-Natal

How about a weekend in the Midlands Meander? http://www.midlandsmeander.co.za - about an hour and a half from Durban.

With a plethora of acccomodation possibilities, good food, local craft markets, excellent scenery and even a chance of swinging through the trees in the Karkloof Valley - http://www.karkloofcanopytour.co.za - it may just be what you're looking for. Even the Drakensberg mountains are an hour and a half away by car. If you're around on a Wednesday the Drakensberg Boy's Choir concert is within range - http://web.dbchoir.co.za

Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: week-end in Kwazulu-Natal

Thank you for your reply. The websites look interesting and zip lining through the forest looks like a blast. We will investigate this further. Any info on snorkeling in St. Lucia?

thank you!

3. Re: week-end in Kwazulu-Natal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 April 2013, 00:35
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
287 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: week-end in Kwazulu-Natal

I love the Midlands and it is beautiful, you can't go wrong.

But for a once in a lifetime experience go Scuba Diving in Sodwana Bay. The reefs are amongst the best in the world, the diving is easy going and the sea life is phenomenal.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: week-end in Kwazulu-Natal

I see my post has been deleted!? If I can help or advise in any way please message me. I must have mentioned too many places to stay. I have been visiting KZN since meeting my wife there for the last 19 years. The Berg is stunning in winter but there is a chance of snow. The north coast, St Lucia, Sodwana, Cape Vidal are lovely spots. I know you have visited a game reserve but there are a few unique places in that pert of the province.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Plettenberg Bay...
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: week-end in Kwazulu-Natal

Hi my husband & I are wanting to revisit the Natal Parks i.e. Hluhuwe, Umfolozi & Ndumo. Unfortunately we have been told that the H & U reserves are not recommended as roads are in disrepair/terrible & facilities are run down. Please advise if this is so.

Regards

Beryl

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: week-end in Kwazulu-Natal

Hello and I was there at the beginning of March, Hluhluwe & Imfolozi, and they were repairing sections of the tar roads. There are pot holes but don't be put off! I had an amazing short stay and try and visit every year. For me Imfolozi is the best park I have been to. The chalets are lovely and had a make-over a couple of years ago. Not sure who passed on the information to you? I would thoroughly recommend you to visit. I am looking at going again August. I have not been to Ndumo for 6 years but loved it there to. There are other great places up that way to.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Shelly Beach, South...
Level Contributor
258 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: week-end in Kwazulu-Natal

Have a look at the South Coast, lots of beautiful beaches, and in August you will see whales.

A visit to the stunning Oribi Gorge is a must.

9. Re: week-end in Kwazulu-Natal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2014, 07:17