We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

100% KZN or Safari in KZN and retreat to back to the Cape?

bracknell
Level Contributor
190 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
100% KZN or Safari in KZN and retreat to back to the Cape?

We had a magical 1st holiday this year in the Cape area and had planned to revisit in 2014 to try and cover some of the bits we missed the 1st time.

So we start planning and by mistake discovered that St Lucia looked interesting and then discovered there was a great opportunity to experience some top class safari whilst we were there.

So now we are thinking flight into Johannesburg (from LHR), changing planes to Durban, driving, having a weeks holiday then driving and spending another several hours flying and driving and then having another weeks holiday. The temptation is to forget the slog south, stay put and convert our travelling day into an extra days holiday.

For the last week of our holiday we would be looking for a bit of a treat - somewhere nice to stay, maybe some good food and either a bit of beach or a bit of scenic sightseeing and definitely laid back. The best accommodation seems to be in and around Umhlanga, on the other hand the resort looks like a cross between Miami Beach and Benidorm - nothing wrong with that, but not what we are looking for.

Is there somewhere I am missing - somewhere I should be looking at or should I go ahead and plan a retreat back South?

Our 2nd visit is planned for October, we are happy to drive, we have a reasonable budget and we are to old to go bungee jumping

Many Thanks

Shelly Beach, South...
Level Contributor
255 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 100% KZN or Safari in KZN and retreat to back to the Cape?

If you have already experienced the Cape, why not explore the beautiful province of KwaZulu Natal on your next trip.

St Lucia and the game reserves in Northern KZN are a must, then for the second week split it between the scenic Drakensberg Mountains and the beautiful beaches of the South Coast.

In the Drakensberg you could look at Cathedral Peak or take a ride up the famous Sani Pass (Sani Valley Lodge is a great place to stay)

On the South Coast there are many beautiful beaches to explore, Southbroom, Ramsgate, Shelly Beach, Pumula – to name a few. You will find some very good B&Bs in the area www.staysouthcoast.co.za A day trip to the stunning Oribi Gorge is a must do.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 100% KZN or Safari in KZN and retreat to back to the Cape?

KZN have a beautiful coastline and lots to explore. Have a look at thonga beach lodge, sound like it would fit your description of beach, scenery, laid back (entire KZN pretty laid back), etc

http://www.thongabeachlodge.co.za/

For safari also have alook at Tembe for the big tuskers.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 100% KZN or Safari in KZN and retreat to back to the Cape?

Hello and I have been holidaying in SA for 19 years as my wife originates from KZN. I have been to the Cape a few times, and other places, but for me KZN is way above anywhere else for many reasons. You could easily spend two weeks in the province and split your time between The Drakensberg Mountains, miles of beaches on the warm Indian Ocean, Excellent safari locations and if you are into history there is plenty of that to! Just to mention you may also catch some humpback whales in October meaning you can see the largest mammals on earth both on sea and land. The elephants at Tembe are some, if not the biggest in Southern Africa. I guess it all comes down to your interests and budget. Its also a relatively small province so easy to drive around not taking up too much time. You could even fly into Joburg and drive down to the Berg & Battlefields.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

bracknell
Level Contributor
190 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 100% KZN or Safari in KZN and retreat to back to the Cape?

Hello

And many thanks, it's given me the boost I need to get out and find the rest of our holiday. Looks like the Cape might have to wait for 2015.

5. Re: 100% KZN or Safari in KZN and retreat to back to the Cape?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2014, 05:18