We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phinda or Amakhosi? Thoroughly confused!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Phinda or Amakhosi? Thoroughly confused!

Hello

I have been reading through so many posts and forum topics about game reserves around Durbam area but I now more confused. I have managed to narrow down to either Phinda or Amakhosi but was wondering if someone could please help me with which would be better? I also keep seeing posts about Hluluwe but gathered that Amakhosi and Phinda are possibly better? Everytime I read a different forum post I find different responses, suggestions and answers with more and more options and places so am a bit lost. Thanks in advance for your help.

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phinda or Amakhosi? Thoroughly confused!

My recommendation would without a doubt be Phinda!Excellent game viewing, beautiful reserve and wonderful lodges to choose from. In my opinion, by far the best safari option in Kwazulu Natal.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
139 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phinda or Amakhosi? Thoroughly confused!

I haven't been to Amakhosi but have been to Phinda which is absolutely fantastic. it is well known as one of the best safari options in SA and definitely the premier one in KZN. The big difference between Hluhluwe and Phinda is price and level of luxury. Hluhluwe is a public park with cheaper, mostly self catering accomodation while Phinda is a 5* luxury reserve. Both are wonderful, so it really depends on what type of trip you're looking for, but I guess most people who can afford it would choose Phinda.

Enjoy

Anne

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phinda or Amakhosi? Thoroughly confused!

Hello and I have been lucky enough to visit Phinda, Amakhosi & Hluhluwe. What I will say firstly is that the majority of game viewing experiences are down to good luck. However both Phinda & Amakhosi will do their absolute utmost to ensure you see as much as possible in your time with them. Both are luxurious and from my time at both places its hard to pick a winner between them. However Phinda would just about edge it, but as said its very tight! Budget is also a consideration as Amakhosi is better priced. Depending on your time you could visit both, they are not far apart? Hluhluwe and its adjoining reserve of Imfolozi is govt. run with a choice of BB&B at Hilltop or self catering in other camps. Its mainly self drive but there are game viewing vehicles for drives & bush walks. Its well worth at least a visit as the game viewing, especially in Imfolozi, can be great!

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phinda or Amakhosi? Thoroughly confused!

Thank you so much for your responses they have been really helpful! I think we will have to stretch our budget for Phinda!

Thank you

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phinda or Amakhosi? Thoroughly confused!

Which ever one you choose I know you will have a great time and be looked after exceptionally well!

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,671 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phinda or Amakhosi? Thoroughly confused!

I don't know when you plan to travel.. but AndBeyond is offering a special promotional rate for all of the Phinda lodges for travel before 30JUNE, Brings down the rate more than 20%.

Dave Patterson - Owner - TheAfricaSafari

7. Re: Phinda or Amakhosi? Thoroughly confused!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2015, 06:19