We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather and driving time in September

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
142 posts
171 reviews
Save Topic
Weather and driving time in September

Visiting Drakensberg in September 2nd week . Is it likely to rain a lot ? How much time would it take to drive from Cathedral Peak Hotel to Johannesburg Airport ? What is the best route to travel from Hluhluwe Imfolozi Park to Winterton , same day . I would be much obliged for all help in planning the self drive . Thanks

1. Re: Weather and driving time in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 August 2014, 01:50
Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,971 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather and driving time in September

Hello and as its hard to say what the weather will be like in Sept as spring can be unpredictable. Probably not a lot of help but be prepared for sun & rain. I know its been a very warm and dry winter in the area. I would allow 6 hours from Cathedral Peak Hotel to Johannesburg International. And I would say use the highway from Hluhluwe to Winterton, down the N2 and up the N3. I always use Google maps for route planning and checking times & distances.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
142 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather and driving time in September

Thank you very much . We have a flight to catch at 1330 hrs so leaving cathedral Peak Hotel at 6 am should be Ok ?

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,971 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather and driving time in September

It will be tight depending on how long you have to be there before your flight. Is it an international or internal flight? Also I assume you will have a hire car to refuel and hand back?

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,596 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather and driving time in September

400km from Cathedral Peak hotel to OR Tambo airport, typical time 4.5 to 5 hours. (11km before Winterton, turn left onto R74 for Bergville).

From Hluhluwe Imfolozi Park to Winterton is 470km, 5 hrs, going via Mtubatuba, N2 and then N3.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,404 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather and driving time in September

Always plan for losing at least 1/2 hour to roadworks.

7. Re: Weather and driving time in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2015, 05:17