We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Durban v Cape Town

Which Durban hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
48 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Durban v Cape Town

The girlfriend and are planning a 8-10 day trip to SA in the winter of 09 (Dec 09/Jan 10) and wanted some advice.

We are looking to spend 4 days on Safari and then 3-4 days at the cricket in either Cape Town or Durban - we haven't decided which yet. Any tips?

Most of the safari seems to be nearer to Durban so maybe that's the solution, although flights from London seem cheaper to Cape Town so we could fly CT to JB or Kruger easily enough I guess.

Any tips on which destination to pick? We'll be at the cricket most days but may also want a day or two on the beach, or exploring around.

I hear CT is more scenic but also more crowded with tourists and than Durban may be better for the real SA City experience....... is there that much of a difference?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,558 posts
352 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Durban v Cape Town

Good to see there are cricket fans in New York!

For me there isn't any comparison...Cape Town is a beautiful city, with lots of history, great food and the winelands on your doorstep. Durban (sorry Durbanities) we felt was very edgy, dirty, and with basically little to recommend it, unless you are heading through to the Battlefields.

As far as cricket grounds is concerned, there's no comparison. Newlands is one of the top two cricket grounds in the world (the other being Adelaide) and its a wonderful setting and great atmosphere. Kingsmead (or whatever sponsor-stadium they are currently calling it) was nothing special.

CT does get a lot of tourists, for good reason, but you'd probably feel safer in those crowds than in the crowds of homeless Zulu from rural areas who congregate around the railway station and other parts of central Durban..

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
338 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Durban v Cape Town

Agree totally with ctrunfree.

There is no comparison between Cape Town and Durban. I am from Durban (don't live there anymore though!) and I wouldnt recommend it as a holiday destination, especially if your other choice is Cape Town (where I have also lived).

Cape Town has everything you need for a great holiday, beautiful beaches, good food, lovely hotels and B&Bs to choose from in relatively safe areas. The beaches in Durban are far from safe unless you know where you are going. I wouldn't recommend staying anywhere near the city centre in Durban, it's not safe at all for exploring, and there is nothing really worth seeing as a city.

The cricket stadium in Cape Town (Newlands) is in a lovely residential area with Table Mountain as the backdrop. Kingsmead (or whatever its called these days) in Durban is near the dodgy city centre, and near the very dodgy bus station. Newlands wins hands down for location!

cape town
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Durban v Cape Town

Cape Town is definitely the best place to watch cricket as everyone else has advised you!

It is so easy to fly from Cape Town to Nelspruit (KMIA) - less than two hours - for the safari aspect of your trip.

Good Luck with the planning!

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,244 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Durban v Cape Town

CT is a great contrast to Kruger and December should give you good weather. Durban can be very hot and humid around Christmas.

Flights to Durban still require a change in Jo'burg hence the extra cost and hassle. If going to/from London try a triangle London-Jo'bug-CT-London. I don't see how Durban can be classed as a more SA experience (always reminds me of Blackpool here in the UK). It is also VERY crowded in their main school hols (Christmas/NewYear).

If I sound biased, I'm not. I visit Durban every 2 years!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,355 posts
1,660 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Durban v Cape Town

Having been to both CT and Durban. I would visit CT for a first time visitor.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Durban v Cape Town

Hello richakn,

I visited both of these towns, and to me off course my own opinion Cape Town has more to see and to do than Durban. That is correct that CT more scenic than Durban. I actually have more fun in Cape Town. Sure you can travel from Joberg to Kruger. 3 to 4 days to me is plenty time either city.

Hampshire
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Durban v Cape Town

I can't comment on the choice between cape Town & Durban, butwe had a wonderful holiday starting in and ending in CapeTown in February this year.

That included two nights, 4 game drives at Shamwariin the Eastern Cape. probably one of the best experiences of my life and worth every penny of the expense - it's not cheap!

Good luck and have a great trip.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
842 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Durban v Cape Town

Coincidentally I was talking to a friend about an hour ago who had visited Durban and Capetown whilst on a cruise last month - she felt that it had been a waste of time visiting Durban when she could have had more time in Capetown - as she said "absolutely no comparison at all between the two - Capetown was just lovely"

new york
Level Contributor
48 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Durban v Cape Town

Thanks to all of you for your help. I also spoke to a friend who grew up in Durban and lives in Jo Berg - he said Cape Town all the way......so looks like it's a comprehensive victory.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
37,515 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Durban v Cape Town

Been to both and Cape Town wins hands down for me.