We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Go ?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,742 posts
1,704 reviews
Save Topic
Where to Go ?

We are coming to South Africa for a conference - staying at Cape Town. We have a few days free. Thinking of going to Durban to catch the sunshine and the beaches. We will be there around 11th October. We have stayed at Cape Town before...so have seen quite a lot. Also have been to Sun City which we loved. So thinking this time beach.

1. Is Durban an interesting place to see or is there other beach resort areas that are better.?

2. Whats the best hotel to stay in Durban, with nice ocean views and close to the action ie restaurants, cafes, shops.

3. Can we swim at this time of the year?

4. Is it safe in Durban.

5. Any other suggestions ....in what to do for three days.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
South Africa
Level Contributor
150 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to Go ?

Durban is a wonderful place. Weather is normally good all year round. Depending on the type of hotel you like - I prefer upmarket bouquet type rather than 'holiday Inn type' so what I can recommend is the following:

In Umhlanga rocks(on the beach) is a beautiful hotel called The Beverley Hills. Or if you want to stay and have the flexibiltiy of the beautiful sea views and access but self catering there are the upmarket Oyster apartments.( Call Tina from Umhlanga and Coastal letting and ask about 502 Oyster Schelles) or a little further up the coast is the incredible Zimbali golf Estate and hotel.

Restaurants I would suggest are The sugar club at the beverley Hills, Angelos in Umhlanga, and Ilmaurice in Umhlanga.

If the weather is good it is still warm enough to swim unlike Cape Town as the water is freezing. Hope I caught you in time before your trip. Enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Umhlanga
Umhlanga
KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Get answers to your questions about Durban