We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Go ?

Which Durban hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,948 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Topic
Where to Go ?

We are coming to South Africa for a conference - staying at Cape Town. We have a few days free. Thinking of going to Durban to catch the sunshine and the beaches. We will be there around 11th October. We have stayed at Cape Town before...so have seen quite a lot. Also have been to Sun City which we loved. So thinking this time beach.

1. Is Durban an interesting place to see or is there other beach resort areas that are better.?

2. Whats the best hotel to stay in Durban, with nice ocean views and close to the action ie restaurants, cafes, shops.

3. Can we swim at this time of the year?

4. Is it safe in Durban.

5. Any other suggestions ....in what to do for three days.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to Go ?

Hi - I replied to your other post already, but this one has more information, so Ill reply to this one too. Like i said - maybe consider the garden route. Do some searches on this forum and you will get an idea of places and what they are like.

If its definitely sun and beach you want, Kwa Zulu Natal (province around Durban) is the best bet for that time of year. Because you only have 3 days, you wont want to travel too far away from Durban (and the airport), but I still think its better to stay out of the city. Umhlanga and Ballito are less than an hour North of Durban. The beaches South of Durban are also good. Try this website for ideas on accommodation and areas: www.wheretostay.co.za

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,948 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to Go ?

thanks for replying.........thinking of going to Umhlanga...do you know about The Oyster Box Hotel ? it looks nice on the beach. Is this area okay...how long to airport..

Thanks a million....getting ideas together now.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to Go ?

I know the Oyster Box. I always walk through it to go to Umlhanga beach! Its has quite an antiquey feel about it - good old Colonial days I think, but nice. Also right on the beach and very close to shops and restuarants, so you can get by without a car I think. Is that one of the reasons you are considering it?

The area always seemed fine to me, Umlhanga in general is an expensive high-class area. Durban airport is on the South Coast of Durban and Umlhanga is on the North, but its only about 30 minute drive on the highway.

Its also close to Gateway shopping centre which is one of the biggest in the World. Good shopping, lots of restaurants and only about 5 minute drive from the hotel.