We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Johannesburg to Durban

Which Durban hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Johannesburg to Durban

We are travelling from Johannesburg to Durban in Feb 2011. Can anyone suggest somewhere to stay no further than midway to break up the journey?

Thanks

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
778 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Johannesburg to Durban

The whole drive from JHB to DUR can take as little as about six hours. Are you just looking for an overnight stop to break the journey in pleasant surroundings or somewhere to stop for a couple of days?

The half-way point along the N3 is about Harrismith. In my opinion, there's not much to see scenery-wise on the N3 until you've passed Estcourt. Without driving too far from the highway and find accomodation in a scenic area you'll need to be past Mooi River - but then you're only an hour or so away from Durban.

If you're prepared to drive for an hour or so from the N3 there's the area around the Drakensberg south of the N3 from the Escourt turn-off or the Battlefields area to the north - or the northern Drakensberg area by heading off the N3 at Harrismith. There are numerous accomodation opportunites in either of these areas, all of which really need more than a one-night stop to appreciate fully.

Have a look at a map, see what you prefer, and come back for more specific advice if needed.

England
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Johannesburg to Durban

thanks very much for the advice. We has just been looking for a stop to break the journey as we will have been travelling for 18 hours by then. Having looked at the maps and available accommodation nearer to johannesburg we have realised that you are absolutely right about the lack of anything worth stopping off for, so we are thinking of flying instead. Really appreciate your advice, as now at least we know we are not missing anything!

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
778 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Johannesburg to Durban

Glad to help. You are missing a lot though as this area has some spectacular scenery, game reseves, historic sites, tourist attractions, even it's own wine estate (not to mention quite a few breweries!)

Ah well, there's always next time......

England
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Johannesburg to Durban

You're right, but we will be in Durban for 8 days, so we are hoping to do trips to the battlefields etc from there, or maybe a night a somewhere like Isibindi lodge. Any other suggestions very gratefully received as we have only ever visited Western and Eastern Cape previously - this is our first time in Kwazulu Natal. No firm plans yet but we are there from the 6th to the 23rd. Tentative plan is the first week or so in and around Durban, and hope there will be a race meeting at Greyville or Scotsville during this time. Then a week or so based in St Lucia as there seems to be lots do to from there. We are going to spend a couple of nights in the Umfolozi reserve, then make our way back to Durban for a night or two before leaving. We usually move around a lot (Garden route / Route 62 etc) so we are happy to go anywhere worth visiting.

Thanks again

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
778 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Johannesburg to Durban

Hi again. You seem to have most of your trip organised quite well already. You've got the bush and beach attractions sorted, how about some battlefields or berg (mountains)?

The map referenced below is a good map of the Drakensberg area. The area around Colenso and Ladysmith would be good for battlefields. I'm sure other posters could recommend where to stay around this area, or a search in the KwaZulu Natal forum here in TA should come up with suggestions.

For the berg area, my favourite is the Champagne Valley. I've stayed at The Nest and Champagne Castle Hotel and can recommend either one. The views of the mountain peaks are better though from Champagne Castle Hotel.

The Midlands Meander stretching from Mooi River to Howick is worth a visit as is the Valley of 1000 Hills near Hillcrest; which is nearer to Durban if you want to be a bit closer, although all of which I've mentioned are only about 1 to 2 hour's drive from Durban so you could stop off for a few hours whilst on your way further inland.

Further south on the map you'll find Sani Pass near Himeville / Underberg where 4X4 trips up the quite spectacular pass into Lesotho can be arranged.

I'm not a racing fan but have found a link to the racing calender - only got 2010 for now but worth keeping an eye on once they get next year's fixtures.

www.drakensberg-tourist-map.com/drakmap.pdf

www.thenest.co.za

www.champagnecastle.co.za

www.zulu.org.za/index.php?1000hills

www.midlandsmeander.co.za

goldcircle.co.za/Racing/…fixtures.shtml

England
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Johannesburg to Durban

Thanks very much - brilliant suggestions, you're been really helpful

Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Johannesburg to Durban

I like to overnight on that route at Swiss Manor House in Mooi River. It reminds you of colonial times. If I remember correctly they are four star.

But two weeks ago I stayed at Tom's Place in Harrismith, also a four star establishment, when I travelled this route.

I recommend both establishments

Edited: 02 May 2010, 19:02
Shelly Beach, South...
Level Contributor
250 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Johannesburg to Durban

Don't miss out on the lovely South Coast, a string of seaside villages and beautiful beaches. The breath-taking Oribi Gorge is well worth a visit.

Lots to do - arts and crafts routes, crocodile farm, nature walks, coffee and banana farm tours.

England
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Johannesburg to Durban

thanks very much for all your suggestions - we are looking forward to it even more now!

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Johannesburg to Durban

Stuart if you do decide to visit the Battlefields and I really cannot recommend them enough book a tour. We stayed at Isandlwana Lodge http://www.isandlwana.co.za/lodge.html and took their tours to both Roukes Drift and Isandlwana. You don't have to be staying there to to take their tours.

I will be honest and say that before we went i was not looking forward to it, they were my husband's thing. But I was completely blown away by the guides (we had a fantastic Zulu guide for Rourke's Drift and Rob Gerrard for Isandlwana) they both brought everything alive and I think i loved it almost more than my husband, even though they both moved me to tears their 'story' telling was so powerful.

Get answers to your questions about Durban