We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for itinerary please?!

Level Contributor
57 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for itinerary please?!

Im wondering if you guys here can help me plan my trip to SA in November. My partner and I just booked our flights yesterday. We are planning a 2 week trip, flying into Durban and out of Cape Town. We are attending a friends wedding in Durban so will be there for a few days and afterwards we are very open to suggestions.

We are young (both under 30) but not really the partying type. We are keen travellers and like to soak ourselves in the culture of a country.

We would definately like to go to a game reserve and take in the winelands at some point. We will be hiring a car where necessary but also open to itineraries that may involve some short domestic flights.

Our budget will be reasonable, so we are not too restricted in that respect.

I appreciate 2 weeks is not such a long time for a country the size of SA so we are not looking to rush and spend everyday in the car to end up in Cape Town by a certain day. We would prefer a more relaxed pace.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,069 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for itinerary please?!

This thread that's active now bears some similarities to your intentions.. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293740-i9186-k369…

Plan A which I like, is to take an easygoing drive all the way. You leave the land of the Zulu South Africans, pass through Xhosa country. You would see that rural life is not an easy one, even when it is framed in lovely countryside.

Others who have some reservations about driving through the Eastern Cape endorse a plan where you would fly to Port Elizabeth, start your driving there. Wildlife reserves and Addo National Park are accessible from PE - and then when you start west, you will go through the very touristy Garden Route.

Visiting the Winelands, if you decide to go there before Cape Town, is easiest off the N2, in my view. If you go as far west as Somerset West, then Stellenbosch is just a few miles north from there. Or you can leave the N2 sooner, go toward Villiersdorp but turn west before you get there and go over the mountain and down into Franschhoek. It's all easy and you'll see places along the way to stop and stay.

With a map and a site like Safarinow.com or Wheretostay,co.za, you can look at B&B's and Guest Houses on line in the communities along your path and pick some that suit you. Book ahead? Not really necessary in November.

Edited: 16 June 2010, 23:05
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for itinerary please?!

I would much rather travel up the Kwazulu North coast and visit Hluhluwe/Mfolozi Game Park (big 5) and the National Park stay at Hilltop or Mpila Tented Camp from there you can visit Kosi Bay/Sodwana Bay, Cape Vidal do turtle tracking, whale watching, skip across the border to Ponta D Ouro (just come back from there and will be putting it on my blog soon (Too delightful a place), and then either travel through the Drakensberg Route to Kokstad or coastal route and travel the Transkei stopping at Coffee Bay and Port St Johns and from there skip the garden route and travel to the Winelands via George and then on to Ct. This will give you a much better perspective on South Africa. www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

3. Re: Suggestions for itinerary please?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2010, 05:17