We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches arround Durban

Ljubljana, Slovenia
3 posts
Save Topic
Beaches arround Durban

Hi!

Me and my girlfriend will be travelling in that area at the beginning of November. We would like to stop for 3 nights in some nice beach, where we could safely swimm.

Now I am looking for beaches north of Durban (Ballito, Salt Rock...) and South of Durban and don`t have an idea, where to go.

We also would like to find some self catering appartment right on the beach. Any help please?

Weybridge
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches arround Durban

For a self-catering apartment at Salt Rock, you can try these guys : Saffron Beach Houses :

http://www.northcoastaccom.co.za/

Shelly Beach, South...
Level Contributor
258 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches arround Durban

The South Coast has some of the nicest beaches, Shelly Beach, St Michaels on Sea, Uvongo, Ramsgate, Southbroom and Marina Beach to name a few, you are spoilt for choice. The South Coast has 4 blue flag beaches,- Margate, Ramsgate, Marina Beach and Trafalgar and 4 in pilot stage - St Michaels, Lucien, Hibberdene and Umzumbe.

All are protected for safe swimming by shark nets and lifesavers.

Look for quality accommodation on www.staysouthcoast.co.za - all nice establishments, quality approved and owner managed.

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches arround Durban

The previous posters have said it all. Also look at Zinkwazi on the north coast and Southbroom is one of my favourite destinations on the South Coast.

Lots of places and plenty of self catering. Spoilt for choice.

http://www.southernexplorer.co.za/ This website should give you some perspective on the south coast

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Ljubljana, Slovenia
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches arround Durban

What do you think about Sheffield Beach, because I have found a cottage right on this beach for very attractive price.

Is this beach area good for safe swimming and snorkling? Somewhere I read, that there are natural rocky pools....

Is this safe area, and what can also be found in this area (restaurants, pubs, supermarkets)?

I would prefer northern part of the Durban coastline, because then I will fly from Durban to Cape Town.

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches arround Durban

Sheffield Beach is a very popular beach with lots of exclusive holiday homes right on the beach. Not sure about restaurants but Ballito is not far and you could go and visit restaurants in the Ballito area.

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches arround Durban

You will find the snorkelling rather disappointing after the Adriatic. Large waves (hence the excellent surfing). The water clarity is nowhere near as good as places like Novigrad or Rovijn because of the sandy bootom and silt from the large rivers. That said we've had lots of good stays on the North and South Coast from Durban.

7. Re: Beaches arround Durban

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2011, 04:17
Get answers to your questions about Durban