We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sardine run and safety

Which Durban hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
United States
Level Contributor
770 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
sardine run and safety

I was just watching some youtube videos on diving/snorkeling the sardine run. Looked like the most spectacular think I've seen but also like the bait ball could very quickly swim right into you and a whale might accidentally swallow you whole.

Does anyone know the safety record on sardine run dives and snorkels? Has anyone died from going on one?

I'm only a snorkeler too so I don't know if that increases or decreases safety.

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sardine run and safety

The sardine run only happens once a year around July/August. This year the run was a spectacular spectacle that lasted weeks and the shoals actually came in to Durban shores due to perfect weather conditions, which hasn't happened since the 70's. At this time of year the shark nets on main beaches are lifted and the area becomes a no swimming area. Surfers were also not that keen to go in to the waters at times. Great Whites, whales, dolphins, birds and lots of other sea life could be seen from Durban shores. Dangerous, I suppose it could be,but I have never heard of any casualties at this time of year due to the sardine run. A dive company would be able to give you better advice. Not sure what time of year you are planning on coming or where in SA you plan on being, but perhaps contact one of the dive companies at Aliwal Shoal in Umkomaas, Durban and they will be able to give you better advice. I don't know anything about this company but they may be able to give you some advice http://www.sardinerun.com/rates.asp

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

United States
Level Contributor
770 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sardine run and safety

thanks i'll contact a company

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: sardine run and safety

I was on honeymoon in Durban July 98 & was paddling in the sea with plenty of sardines for company !

4. Re: sardine run and safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2011, 05:17