We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from Durban to Kruger to Johannesburg

Vancouver
Level Contributor
89 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
driving from Durban to Kruger to Johannesburg

I need some travel advice. We have about 8 days for Durban to Jo-Burgbefore we go to Botswana for our 9 day safari. We are landing in Durban airport renting a car and plan to visit the KwaZulu and perhaps the Hluhuwe game reserive. Would it be better to visit KwaZulu, Hluhuwe and then drive up to Kruger? Or should we go to Hluhuwe , Kwazulu tne then Kruger?

Would it be reasonable to land in Durban, day in Hluhuwe , day in KwaZulu and then day driving to Hazyview for a few days in Kruger National Park.

Are we rushing it - or should be just bypass Kruger if we are already going to Botswana.

thanks

Table View, South...
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving from Durban to Kruger to Johannesburg

KwaZulu is the name of the province within which Durban and Hluhluwe resides. This province is rough;y the size of England so depending on what you want to see you can very easily spend the whole 8 days driving KwaZulu.

I don' t know Hluhluwe so can't comment on how long you should spend there but want to point out that the distance between Hluhluwe and Hazyview is roughly 470 kilometers so you will need about 6 hours to drive this.

To experience the Kruger park properly you need about 3 days so I thnk you are going to need to decide on either KwaZulu or Kruger.

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving from Durban to Kruger to Johannesburg

Kwazulu Natal has the Drakensberg Mountains, The Northern Elephant Coast with Hluhluwe/Mfolozi, Kosi Bay, The lakes of ST Lucia,

Southern and Northern coastline of warm Indian Ocean and a large cultural diversity of Hindu Indian, Muslim, Zulu and English (some Afrikaans) people.

You say you are arriving in Durban, there is only one direct International Flight to Durban that I am aware of currently and that is Emirates.

If you are arriving in Durban then driving up to Zululand is about 3,5 hrs and there is plenty to do in the area so I would suggest at least 3 days there. Where else are you planning on going in Kwazulu?

http://www.kzn.org.za/index.php

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Vancouver
Level Contributor
89 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving from Durban to Kruger to Johannesburg

we are flying PE after a weekin Capetown & Garden area. We were plannig to explore the Kwazulu area on the way to Kruger. Think we will bypass the coast and head towards either Dranensberg or Zululand. We land in early afternoon. Can you recommend an area for B&B or hotel about a couple hours north of airport? We may decide to have 4 days here and 4 days in Kruger area.

thanks

Vancouver
Level Contributor
89 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving from Durban to Kruger to Johannesburg

Hi proud durban

I was reading some of your responses to others taking the same route. you recommended to that the north coast was more interesting way going to Kruger. We are now thinking do we do the Zulu culture experience or go along the coast? We are not too interested in the battle history being from Canada.

appreciate your comments

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving from Durban to Kruger to Johannesburg

you won't travel completely on the coast but parallel to it which is Zululand, to get to the coastal areas you will travel off the N2. In effect you can do both Zulu culture, the bush and the Indian Ocean Beaches all in the greater St Lucia Isimangaliso Wetlands. Preferred route for travellers from Kzn to get to Kruger is through Swaziland.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
89 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving from Durban to Kruger to Johannesburg

thanks - your information is very helpful in planning our trip. any suggestions on a location to stop over after the flight a couple of hours from Airport. After looking at our schedule I think we will be flying from Capetown to Durban arriving early afternoon. I guess we want to be settled before dark - 5.30 PM.

thanks

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving from Durban to Kruger to Johannesburg

Depending on your budget, for a 3 star accommodation, an unfussy venue but a brilliant location on Salt Rock Beach is The Salt Rock Hotel about 10 min drive from airport. I haven't stayed there myself but we had colleagues from CT stay there recently and they were happy with the accommodation.

sleeping-out.co.za/member_details-MemberID-1…

Edited: 10 December 2010, 06:09
durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: driving from Durban to Kruger to Johannesburg

Link to salt rock hotel http://www.saltrockbeach.co.za/

Vancouver
Level Contributor
89 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: driving from Durban to Kruger to Johannesburg

salt rock hotel looks amazing. Going to hard to drag ourself away the next day with such a good location, a view on the beach and sunset.

thanks

Vancouver
Level Contributor
89 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: driving from Durban to Kruger to Johannesburg

Dear Proudly Durban

I have been reading your blog and impressed with your love of your town and area. Thinking about leaving out the 3 day rush trip to Garden route and spend more time in Capetown area and add a couple of more days to the KNZ trip and spend a overnight in Swaziland on the way to Kruger.

thanks

Get answers to your questions about Durban