We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grahamstown to Durban

Hampshire
Level Contributor
261 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Grahamstown to Durban

I will be spending 1 night in Grahamstown and then the following night in Durban. I believe that the distance between these two towns is about 670 k (402miles).

Checking my map the road (N2) appears to be dual carriageway all the way. Can I ask please if this is correct. I would like to leave Grahamstown at about 9 in the morning and reach Durban by about 5 in the afternoon.

Can I also ask Is this is feasable without too much trouble, or does it require an earlier start or maybe a later arrival.

Thank you for any advice given.

Durban...
Level Contributor
6 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Grahamstown to Durban

Well we did the trip and the route that we took was relatively quiet, the only problem came when it got dark and we missed the turning to Grahamstown and ended up adding nearly 1.5 hours to an already very long trip of about 12 hours.

The journey home was better, same route but we left at 6.30 am and arrived at about 3.30pm, I spoke to someone who had gone to Grahamstown from Durban on the N2 and apparantly its awful, full of stop start roadworks and they too took a very long time to get to their destination.

Potholes on many of the roads, national or not and really not a pleasant journey to do in one go, next time we are going to stay overnight at a B+B halfway, probably at MacClear Manor, I will review it after we have stayed.

South Africa is not easy to get around, especially not to places outside of the "big three" namely Cape Town, Johannesburg,Durban. The only low cost carrier Kulula has pulled out of the PE/Dbn route and now a return ticket will cost in the region of R2800, ridiculus pricing .

12. Re: Grahamstown to Durban

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2013, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about Durban