We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Durban to Sodwana Bay

Which Durban hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Durban to Sodwana Bay

Hoping someone can help me with travel times here. We have to drive from Durban to Sodwana Bay and Googlemaps estimates just under 5 hours. Is this realistic? I wondered what the state of the roads will be like when we get close to Sodwana Bay. Or maybe we should stop over if there is something unmissable on the route?

Thanks very much

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Durban to Sodwana Bay

Driving to Sodwana is about 4 hrs or so, the roads are fine, m0stly freeway and then single lane from Hluhluwe, however there were roadworks along this road so some patience is required if you encounter this.

Hlhluwe/Mfolozi Park is a must, St Lucia boat cruise may also be of interest.

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Durban to Sodwana Bay

Thanks for your help. I had thought about going to St Lucia for a boat trip - would be great to see some hippos! Will see if we can break the journey there.

Cape Town Central...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Durban to Sodwana Bay

Can one use a car Toyota 1300 or is it necessary to use a 4 x 4?

My wife and I want to go there in November, is that a reasonably good time or a very bad time?

Email: jackswan@telkomsa.net

Edited: 08 July 2011, 13:11
4. Re: Driving from Durban to Sodwana Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 20:16