We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

solo safety in durbs

Which Durban hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brighton, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
solo safety in durbs

im off to durban (tala) in march to a wedding. i am a black british female travelling solo and am considering cutting my vacation short as everyone has backed out but i dont want to miss out. i wanted to visit kruger also while there but am concerned about personal safety. any thoughts or recommendations?

Brighton, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: solo safety in durbs

just wanted to add another question; i'd like to stay at tala for the wedding but not for the whole stay. where else in durban can i go that is ok for single female, near shops and amenities and things to do like public walks etc.,

and what are taxi fares like there?

thank you peoples!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
649 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: solo safety in durbs

I would stay on the north side of the city in Umhlanga or Umdloti which is further out. These areas are safe for a single woman for sure. Don't be scared in South Africa - most of the crime happens in very violent pockets and not where you will stay or visit.

I have lived all over the world and spent a lot of time in South Africa where I was born. I have been attacked three times in my life. In London, in Bimingham at knife-point and in Cardiff. I have never felt threatened in South Africa even when wondering round the beach front in Port Elizabeth at night, and walking around Cape Town at night.

You will have a wonderful time. If you can go to Kruger do, as you will find as a single person peace and tranquility like you have never experienced!!

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: solo safety in durbs

Umhlanga, Florida Road, Morningside, Durban is a city like any other stay away from the shadier areas, be aware and you will be fine. It is a culturally rich city with Zulu, English, Afrikaans, Muslim and Hindu communities. So much to do and see here. Ps if you can't get to Kruger, consider Mfolozi/Hluhluwe or one of the many private reserves on the North Coast of Durban, beautiful world heritage area.

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

4. Re: solo safety in durbs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 01:19