We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Durban seafront promenade

Which Durban hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Topic
Durban seafront promenade

Looking at google earth, it looks like lots of refurbishment and rebuilding of the walkways and pools etc along the sea front.

Can any body give me an update about what is happening/has happened. We'll be visiting in July/August and like to walk along the front during the day and the kids like to use the pools (chilly I know but they don't like the big waves much!).

Thanks

Lerwick, United...
Level Contributor
315 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Durban seafront promenade

We didn't bother with Durban this year but when we were there last March the promenade was a complete mess with roads being closed around the works.

We prefer Ballito north of Durban, We stayed there last month for 3 wonderful days at the Boathouse hotel. They have a clean friendly pool and you are right at the beach - for effect. Nice places to eat nearby and a much slower pace of life. Perfect for a holiday with children.

Caryl

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Durban seafront promenade

The beach front promenade is looking lovely. The walkways are beautiful and the pools are in good condition. There is still some work being done, but nothing to hinder visitors using them. Although winter is usually when they clear the pools and refurb them for summer. I walk there every morning but haven't for two weeks. I will let you know when I walk again. We have been going to the beach every morning this summer for a walk and then a swim and people have been flocking to the beaches on the weekends. We have had a superb summer, albeit a bit drier than usual and winter promises to be just as good, weather wise.

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Durban seafront promenade

Thanks for the info, folks.

Caryl, we go to Durban regularly to see family so tend to pop down to the beachfront rather than go out to Umhlanga etc.

Kim, unfortunately my hols dictate when I can come (our summer- your winter). Perhaps in retirement I can make it in spring/autumn!

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Durban seafront promenade

Hi Safarifiend, I did my promenade walk on the beachfront this morning and you are correct they are digging up parts of the walkway so that they can lay new pipes. However this shouldn't interfere too much with your beach plans.

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

5. Re: Durban seafront promenade

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 14:18