We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beach in May... too cold?

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
66 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
beach in May... too cold?

I am looking for a honeymoon destination for mid to late May. I would love to do a safari, but also want at least a week at the beach. Is it too cold in May to layout in or around Durban?

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beach in May... too cold?

Durban and the coastline north of Durban is usually very pleasant, even in winter. May is the start of winter and you can have some very nice days (temperatures around 22-26 degrees C). The sea is always warm in the Durban area. However you can also be unlucky and have chilly weather, but the norm is mild daytime temperatures and sunny weather. If you wish to combine safari with beach, I very nice combination for honeymoon would be to combine Phinda Game Reserve (I recommend Vlei Lodge) with Thonga Beach Lodge, both situated in northern Kwazulu-natal (a few hours north of Durban).

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beach in May... too cold?

march to may is perhaps the best time of year for Durban, the humidity of summer is over and the winter has not quite started yet. So it is a good option. also lots of lovely game parks just north of Durban such as Thanda, phinda, Thula Thula and if you head inland Esiweni Lodge in Nambitit is lovely for honeymooners …blogspot.com/2011/04/coming-soon-esiweni-lo…

Oyster Box, Beverly Hills Hotel, Southern Sun Hotels in Umhlanga are all on the beach and it is a lovely sleepy little holiday village. Umdloti, Ballito, Salt Rock are also lovely coastal areas to stay too.

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beach in May... too cold?

If you want to be in or around Durban, I agree with Kim's suggestions above. Oyster Box has an excellent reputation, and I recently stayed at Canelands Beach Club at Salt Rock, which is a luxury boutique hotel right on the beach. Ask for one of their sea-facing rooms. The main difference between Thonga and all these destinations in or near Durban is crowds. Thonga is private and secluded, very few other people on the beach. Umhlanga and the other holiday towns along the north coast have lots of hotels and lots of people on the beach, fishing, walking their dogs, etc.

4. Re: beach in May... too cold?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 11:18
Get answers to your questions about Durban