We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safaris from Durban?

Which Durban hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Safaris from Durban?

I am a student spending 2 weeks in Durban, and my friend and I are interested in a safari for 2-3 nights. I would need transportation from Durban and back to catch a flight Monday afternoon at 1630. Can you give me an idea what you would recommend?

I have been looking around, and wanted some recommendations on reputable tour companies. I really wanted to go to Kruger, but it seems that I would have to fly back to Johannesburg and then out again, which seems impractical. Are there chartered tours going from Durban directly to Kruger? Or should we stay in the Hluhluwe umfolozi region?

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safaris from Durban?

Try STreet Scene http://www.streetscenetours.co.za/

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,529 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safaris from Durban?

If you want to go on safari in the Kruger National Park, then you could fly direct from Durban to Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport, Nelspruit. From there it's less than a 2 hour drive to Kruger. Alternatively, from Durban you could drive up to Hluhluwe. Phinda Private Game Reserve - if it fits your budget - is also highly recommended, and is about a 3,5 hour drive from Durban.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
172 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safaris from Durban?

I would stay in the Umfolzi area. Cheapest way is to hire a car and do it yourself. Book accom in the park which is self catered. Real advantage is that you can start earlier in the morning and stay later ( both of which is when the game viewing is best).

If you want a guide try mike at info@uvongo.com and he will tailor make a package for you.

Durban
Level Contributor
21 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safaris from Durban?

Definitely too far to go to Kruger unless you are based in Joburg.

From Durban, look into Hluhluwe Umfolozi, which is a national park or Phinda which is a private game reserve and so a little more pricey.

www.kznwildlife.com/index.php…

www.phinda.com/

5. Re: Safaris from Durban?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2012, 10:22
Get answers to your questions about Durban