We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Half Day in Durban-What To Do & Where To Eat

New York City, New...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Half Day in Durban-What To Do & Where To Eat

I would be most grateful for some sightseeing tips. My mother & I will be stopping through Durban on our way to Swaziland. It's our first time in SA and in Africa. Our flight arrives in Durban from Cape Town at noon and we're overnighting in North Durban and leaving for Swaziland at 7am. So we only have a short window of time.

I'd love some ideas for things to see and do in this short span. We'll have access to a car. Also, how easy is Durban to navigate by car?We will have a GPS.

BTW if anyone has any idea of how long the drive is from Durban to Swaziland's capital (Mbabane) I would be grateful.

Kempton Park, South...
Level Contributor
251 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Half Day in Durban-What To Do & Where To Eat

Arriving in Durban at noon won't allow you much time for sight seeing. I assume you will be spending the night in the area of Umlahnga? You will be on the North Coast then and your best bet will be to visit the Pavilion or Gateway shopping centres if you wish to do some shopping or have something to eat. I will not recommend negotiating Durban at dark, especialy if you do not know the area. It can be rather dangerous at night.

Driving to Swaziland depend how you plan to travel. If you travel via the vnorth of of KZN in the direction of Mozambique, you will have a lot of historical sites you will pass as well as driving through the Zulu Kingdom. By any cahnce this will be the best route to follow any how. Driving with a GPS will make life much easier. Your estimate time driving to Swaziland, Mbabane, should be about 4 to 5 hours.

2. Re: Half Day in Durban-What To Do & Where To Eat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 May 2012, 22:05
durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Half Day in Durban-What To Do & Where To Eat

Durban is very easy to navigate and is one of the easiest cities in SA to travel around, everything is relatively close and you don't have mountains etc. to navigate, it is well signposted and the freeways and roads are in good condition. Because of time constraints and because you will be North I would suggest you visit the beach, Umhlanga has a lovely promenade and some lovely restaurants, although you will be heading South to Umhlanga, it is not too far and travelling to your hotel early evening will be perfectly safe. Ballito, Salt Rock, these are all options in your short time frame or you could head down to Durban Beach Front and visit Moyo (Ushaka Beach) for light cocktails, tapas and some African Cuisine, right on the peer, a stunning location a stroll to buy some curios on the beach front a rickshaw ride and then head back North, perfectly safe!

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,366 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Half Day in Durban-What To Do & Where To Eat

I thought it was obligatory to eat a nice hot curry in Durban.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Half Day in Durban-What To Do & Where To Eat

Kim is spot on. And if you don't want to do the beach/promenade thing but want to do something touristy and uniquely African you can drive up to Phezulu Safari Park and cultural village at the Valley of 1000 hills, about 45 minutes from Umhlanga. Check out www.phezulusafaripark.co.za/phezulu.htm. Your GPS will get you there easily and then I would not plan anything else for that afternoon.

Driving to Swaziland the next morning will take 5-6 hours and you may decide to stop at Shakaland, about 2 hours north of Durban, the oldest zulu cultural village and well worth a visit.

Lamlee also spot on - do enjoy a nice hot Durban curry and all.

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

Nederland
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Half Day in Durban-What To Do & Where To Eat

Go to Royal Delhi Curry restaurant in Durban for the best curry or Wilson's Warf for a good meal with a view on the harbour.

I would visit uShaka for the aquarium and Victoria Market for fun and lots of spices.

Driving to Mbabane may take you 5-6 hours, depending on border post as well. Stop at Nyala Safari's (nearby Big bend) for a good lunch or a cup of coffee.

Durban
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Half Day in Durban-What To Do & Where To Eat

Since you will be staying in Durban North, rather go to Umhlanga for a meal & enjoy the sunset & promenade. If you are not part of a tour group, I wouldn't suggest to go near the Durban beach front or Victory Market as a foreigner especially in the afternoon or evening.

Edited: 16 April 2012, 09:57
durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Half Day in Durban-What To Do & Where To Eat

Well, I do not agree with LvdM, the Durban Beach Front Promenade is lovely, hire bikes and ride the promenade, take a stroll, Durbanites and tourists do this on a regular basis, going up the skye car to enjoy the vistas etc take the Richksha bus tour through Durban, but I do agree, as anywhere in South Africa, a night stroll, is not advisable. Ps fabulous Durban Mutton Curry from Indian Connection in Windermere Road with naan bread (too divine).

…blogspot.com/2010/05/durban-winter-wonderla…

…blogspot.com/2009/11/moyo-african-spice-res…

Edited: 17 April 2012, 06:22
9. Re: Half Day in Durban-What To Do & Where To Eat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 13:41