We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nonstop flights from Europe?

Which Durban hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
OHIO
Level Contributor
227 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Nonstop flights from Europe?

Considering flying through Europe from US next January to try to get a nonstop onto durban for a wk at the beach then back to joburg for final two wks. If we were staying in joburg the entire trip we would just to the long haul from JFK and be done with it but I'm trying to avoid a connecting flight in joburg to Durban after a 20+ hr travel day with 2 kids under 6. Any thoughts or info on how best to get to SA with little kids would be so helpful!!!

Shelly Beach, South...
Level Contributor
251 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nonstop flights from Europe?

The only International flight into Durban is Emirates via Dubai

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nonstop flights from Europe?

You can also consider flying straight into Cape Town from London Heathrow. We have really good beaches here, no sorry, fantastic and brilliant beaches here as well and also with so many activities to do for your kids.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

OHIO
Level Contributor
227 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nonstop flights from Europe?

thanks, we are considering Cape Town as well, my father in law has timeshare and seems to be more available in the Durban area?

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nonstop flights from Europe?

Or from Amsterdam to Johannesburg straight to Johannesburg and Cape Town!!

With KLM

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
452 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nonstop flights from Europe?

You can also fly non-stop from Frankfurt with Lufthansa to Cape Town

Regards

Michelle from Cape Town Guide

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nonstop flights from Europe?

Capetown is a much nicer area than Durban but that's just my opinion, if you can get a direct flight to there that would be my choice.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nonstop flights from Europe?

also, I would check out the matrix fare comparison website, not so much for the fares but to get the various schedules:

http://matrix.itasoftware.com

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nonstop flights from Europe?

Hello and we fly into Durban but use AirFrance. I don't think there is a direct European flight any more? I know that Emirates fly into Durban via Dubai but it adds time and does not land in Durban until late afternoon. We use one of the internal airlines from Joburg into Durban and find this the cheapest and easiest way in. I have just been to Durban and loved it! I prefer the east side to the Cape. I have a web site with info on the area if that helps.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nonstop flights from Europe?

Almost all my pre-adult holidays were on the Kwa Zulu-Natal coast - great place for families - and I still like it today despite all the development that has taken place. Like many we stayed in one of the many small towns found north and south of Durban and which, in conjunction with excursions into Durban for the big-city stuff, IMO offered a great "beach" experience. Also Durban and the KZN coast have the advantage over Cape Town that you can actually get into the water without freezing the feet off your ankles.

Edited: 12 March 2013, 19:39
OHIO
Level Contributor
227 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nonstop flights from Europe?

lol, been to Cape Town once, one of the most beautiful places I've ever been but seriously cold water!!! Nothing worse than being on the ocean in the middle of summer and not getting to swim in it :) My husband grew up in SA and spent many an April holiday on the coast around Durban. Just trying to find the least painful way to get there from the states w/ two small kids. :)