We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel in Umhlanga

Which Durban hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
Which hotel in Umhlanga

Wanting to go to Umhlanga in a few weeks time. Wanting a nice (not 5 star) hotel under R1,000 per night for a weeks stay. Would like to get someone's timeshare if possible. Would like a pool at the hotel and within walking distance of the beach. Any suggestions.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel in Umhlanga

Guess the Oyster Box is still over budget then?

Don't know if they do it in SA but here in Europe the resorts usually sell off unused weeks (particularly at short notice) as a way of promoting time share. Have you tried contacting them directly?

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel in Umhlanga

Here in S Africa they usually hold it and lose out instead of renting it out. Oyster box is WAY WAY out of budget unfortunately. Going to contact the timshare directly

London, United...
Level Contributor
399 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel in Umhlanga

I don't know how all of these expensive places survive - we can't afford them and I am a banker!

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel in Umhlanga

Than- You cant afford them and besides being a banker youre coming with pounds at R14 to the Rand - theyre crazy.

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which hotel in Umhlanga

Protea Hotel Umhlanga is good value, close to the beach. and Road Lodge, City Lodge which is well situated on the hill surrounded by lovely restaurants and shops.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

6. Re: Which hotel in Umhlanga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2013, 11:48
Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which hotel in Umhlanga

Hi Divacape,

how was your trip to Durban and where did you end up staying?

I have narrowed it down to Ballito or Umhlanga but can't get a feel of these places from the web and the coast looks a bit of a concrete jungle in places. We love Camps Bay ) , with the beach, eating places on your doorstep. Which resorts in Kwazulu have a similar vibe as Camps Bay, in your opinion.

I have a friend who stayed a the Fairmont Zimbali and loved the huge grounds. Many UK agents also recommend the Oyster Box also. We would like to have a hotel or guesthouse right on the beach.

we do find hotels in SA very expensive but at least the fx rate is going in our favour for our cape tour in November. I have been paying deposits with my credit card and even with the bad rates used by the card companies, we are still getting R15 to the pound.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which hotel in Umhlanga

Wow gem you are so lucky. We stayed at Zimbali and although I was a bit sceptical at first I must say I was happy I did. Its a huge gated community. You can use a "golf cart" to drive around and there are lovely walks and you can go to both hotels and use the facilities at both. We rented a house from a client of mine but were able to use all the facilities of the gated community. Its very peaceful. There is a beach although they say the swimming is not safe there were some children swimming. Its ok for what we call a "dunk" but whats nice about being there is that you can go onto the beach for a walk, have a quick swim and then lie at one of the pools on a lounger with an umbrealla and order food from one of the restaurants at the pools. There are quite a lot of pools to choose from. I thought we would go to Umhlanga every day but we went there ONCE and it was enough. I did find Umhlanga a concrete jungle, hotel after hotel after hotel. Balito is quieter and there are lots of nice restaurants around. We had breakfast almost every day at the Balito shopping centre - I think it was the Lifestyle centre at a place called Zaras. It was excellent. THere is a MAGNIFICENT cheese cake coffee shop in Ballito as well where they have a HUGE selection of cheese cakes. Umhlanga is full of people from Johannesburg on time share. The Oyster Box I believe is fantastic but OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive. I liked Zimbali and I think if i had a choice i would stay there again. I dont think i would go to Umhlanga although everyone said thats where i should have stayed. Ok there are more beaches there but more people too and lots of children especially in the school holidays. Overrun with youngsters.

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which hotel in Umhlanga

We also love Zimbali and have rented property there 3 times. It's grown enormously since the first time we visited! We generally find it very peaceful and really enjoy the coastal reserve feel of the forest meeting the beach. It can get busy in SA school holiday periods though. It's fascinating place to explore on the golf buggies and we frequently see bushbuck and vervet monkeys.

We both self-cater and eat out in Ballito which is only 5kms up the road. Even when renting a property, it's nice to have all the resort facilities available if you want to use them.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Which hotel in Umhlanga

Time for a confession - despite my reluctance we actually stayed in Ballito for a week at Chaka's Chalets which I reviewed as good value functional family accommodation. We loved both Chaka's Beach with rock pools and rock strata to investigate at low tide and the sandy expanses of Thompson's Beach with its 100m long tidal swimming pool. we even had the pool and beach to ourselves one morning (except for the life guard and gardeners). It was so relaxing.

There are downsides though. Ballito is largely apartment complexes and properties go right down to the beach. As a result there is no prom, only narrow steep paths every so often from which the beach is accessed. This is fine if you are relatively fit but one of our party struggled a bit. I also missed walking along the prom looking for places to eat. Yes, the Lifestyle centre is a great shopping centre above thetown out towards the freeway. However, it is not where I choose to stroll in an evening sussing out which restaurant to eat in or which bar to have a drink in. Sounds like Zimbali might allow me to do this, food for thought . . .

Umhlanga reminds me more of a European resort with a LONG prom to stroll along and long sandy beaches. if mobility is a problem there is a car park right atthe end, even making it wheelchair friendly. No tidal pools to swim in so you have to fight your way through the surf. A few eateries right on the beach. Many multistorey large hotels and apartment blocks have direct access onto the Prom and thus the beach. however, they give Umhlanga a different more built up feel. The Oyster Box opens onto the Prom but does not feel as if it is in the middle of a concrete jungle. There is dune vegetation along the Prom in many places and a nature reserve at the end which helps to alleviate the urban jungle feel. in my opinion it is still a nice seaside visit. because of the SA view of security, sadly you cannot generally pop into a hotel off theProm for a drink or meal. Shame, IMO!