We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel in Umhlanga

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,982 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
Which hotel in Umhlanga

Wanting to go to Umhlanga in a few weeks time. Wanting a nice (not 5 star) hotel under R1,000 per night for a weeks stay. Would like to get someone's timeshare if possible. Would like a pool at the hotel and within walking distance of the beach. Any suggestions.

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
653 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Which hotel in Umhlanga

I am not a big Umhlanga fan - I prefer Sheffield Beach. From my visits, I would say that Umhlanga is very trendy and busy, Ballito is still busy and attractive with lots of families and apartments, whereas Sheffield Beach has wonderful, lush streets, beautiful houses and self catering units like the ones we stayed at last week http://seacottages.co.za/

We were RIGHT on the beach - a 30 yard walk from our unit brought us to a little gate that opened right onto the beach! The beach was less busy than the Umhlanga's was last year which suited our dates. Whatever you choose, I'm sure you will have a great time.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,838 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Which hotel in Umhlanga

thanks everyone.

am I correct in thinking that unlike many other places in the world, in SA hotels do not appear to havee land/gardens fronting the beach?

London, United...
Level Contributor
399 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Which hotel in Umhlanga

I think you are correct. The Salt Rock Hotel is perhaps the exception?

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Which hotel in Umhlanga

Some places have stunning beach vistas and direct access such as Umnagazi Bungalows on the Wild Coast. However, this is less common than in places like Kenya.

London, United...
Level Contributor
399 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Which hotel in Umhlanga

I think I heard a Salt Rocker once say that there are environmental laws against such development. That place on the wild coast looks stunning although very pricey!

It might be worth considering staying in a coastal nature reserve if you want to be right on a beach. Amatigulu, Umlalazi and Cape Vidal spring to mind.

16. Re: Which hotel in Umhlanga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2014, 07:20
Get answers to your questions about Durban