We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

north durban vs south durban

Which Durban hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
north durban vs south durban

need some advice.... My brother will be moving to durban at the end of the year and wanted to findout which area is safer and better area to live ( three kids), wife loves to shop, workout etc, he loves to fish, kayak, scuba diving and other water sports and loves the social bar scene. he has looked at north durban (ballito, lalucia, umhlanga, salt rock) and south durban (amazimtoti) and liked them both. they are looking to buy a house right by the coast and wanted advice on which coast you would recommend in terms of safety, things to do (north or south). thank u all in advance

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: north durban vs south durban

I myself prefer north Durban but I am guessing it may be easier to find a house on the coast south of Durban?

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: north durban vs south durban

I second North Durban especially Umhlanga! I'm not a big fan on the south of Durban, they can get a few tips on how to look after a place from there northern friends. Umhlanga is a beautiful place, conveniently close to Durban but also has plenty to do. IMHO it is also one of the 'safer' areas in the above mentioned places and the place is well looked after with a beautiful beach and you can walk/run km on the promenade.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,235 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: north durban vs south durban

North of Durban people tend to look down on South of Durban people. North is definitely posher, but probably a lot more expensive.

He really should look at where he is going to work (if he is going to), as you don't want to have to drive through Durban twice a day during rush hour.

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
172 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: north durban vs south durban

I personally would much prefer to live on the south coast rather than the north coast. I can not think of anything worse than living in a very expensive house right on top of all the other green roofs in Umhlanga. But if you are flying a lot of work or your office is that side of Durban then it does make sense.

From a water sports aspect South Coast wins. Scuba diving in Umkomaas on the Aliwal Shoal or further own on Protea Banks. Great fishing etc. Have a look at Warner Beach area which I really like. You will also get so much more for your money.

Also depends on schools for the kids as to where you decide to stay

5. Re: north durban vs south durban

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2014, 07:20