We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire Durban Airport

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire Durban Airport

I have just returned from a trip too Natal and want to warn travellers of a problem I encountered at Durban airport. I booked a car hire on line and paid a deposit using my UK debit Visa card. When I arrived at Europcar late evening to collect the car I was unable to hire it due to the fact that I did not have a credit card. Car hire in SA do not accept overseas debit cards or cash in most instances. Europe Car staff were most unhelpful unable to offer any solution to my situation. There are no hotels at the airport and it is 42k to Durban so an expensive cab ride. Fortunately my next port of call was Hertz who had the same policy but sent me on to Select Car Hire who were very helpful and organised a car be it more expensive than my on line booking. So if you are flying in from Europe be aware of this. I now have the problem of trying to get my deposit back from Europcar.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire Durban Airport

I have never paid a deposit with Avis ever, but all want CC when collecting the rental vehicle and deductions thereafter on the CC for that hire and other such as fines, petrol top up etc .Booking direct with a non 3rd party does not require an up front payment But seems Europe car requires a deposit ? Good luck

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire Durban Airport

Elizabeth, thanks for warning others in the hope that it might save them the distress you suffered. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip.

Stargaize, often it is the broker here in the UK that takes a deposit (possibly their commission?) and then payment on collection as usual with the rental company.

I agree that credit cards being needed is the norm. They operate in a different way, allowing open ended authorisation which is not possible from a debit card (which takes money out of your account strait away). Lots of us in the UK have become used to using our Visa debit cards and don't always remember that they are different. Potential renters, please be aware.

Port Angeles...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire Durban Airport

Hi any suggestions on type of car to rent to drive from durban to hluhluwe

Thanx

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire Durban Airport

It depends upon how many passengers and luggage, re size of car required which might influence type of vehicle e.g. van vs sedan for large family. In terms of type of vehicle, for driving from Durban to Hluluwe umfolozi reserve, a sedan is fine. We drove the north coast toll route from Ballito to Hluhluwe , the coast road is good. The roads inside Hluluwe are both tarred and untarred with some 4 x4 trails. The tar roads are mostly in good condition but have some potholes, some largish but in all, not bad. We had a mid size sedan for our 1st visit and this was perfectly OK, even for the untarred roads, so long as you are careful and drive to the conditions and speed limits. Last year, we had a 4 x4 Toyota Fortuner from Avis, not needed here unless you want to drive the 4 x 4 trails such as the Okhukho Loop in the Imfolozi section of the park. We are not 4 x4 ers but we did do that loop so I could try it out. A sedan is a less expensive option to hire than a 4 x4, however, we did find the higher ground clearance and better vision afforded by the height of the 4 x4 very good for game viewing and driving the dirt roads to some of our safari lodges in other reserves..

5. Re: Car Hire Durban Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2015, 06:27
Get answers to your questions about Durban