We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Durban?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Durban?

Hello

My partner and I are visiting Durban in June and need accommodation for four nights. We were planning on staying at the Hilton however I've seen lot of gorgeous guest houses. Was wondering if anyone could suggest some nice options in good location? Will also be asking same question in different forum about Cape Town as we will be staying there for four nights - if anyone has suggestions for there as well?

Many thanks

Georgia

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Durban?

Ballito is a lovely area, just outside Durban check this link: www.boathouse.co.za if you are looking for place that is quiet and peaceful then this is it

Durban...
Level Contributor
64 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Durban?

Do you plan to be near the beach? I live in Durban and Hilton hotel is in town. You can walk to the beach but with the busy traffic I suggest not to.

If budget is not an issue I recommend Oyster Box or Beverly Hills hotel both are seaside hotels. Suncoast towers and hotels in Durban North also offers seaside view - check Tsogo Sun hotels. Lots of hotels,guesthouses and bnb's in Umhlanga Rocks.

Ballito is also beautiful (30-40 mins drive from Durban). Coco de Mer is fantastic.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,756 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Durban?

My friend who lives in Johannesburg , always stays at Anchors Rest, Umhlanga .

In Cape Town I have stayed in both Primi Royale ,Camps Bay and Ocean View House, Bakoven. The Primi is within walking distance of the beach, eating places, and the tourist Hop On Off bus . Ocean View is approx. one mile further out from Camps Bay . I would return to both.

For our next trip we have booked Amblewood, Hout Bay.

However, as it will be winter you might consider the V&A Waterfront area or nearby.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Durban?

Hi

Thank you all for your responses. I have looked at Oyster Box but we really want to be in Durban. Hence our thoughts to stay at the Hilton because of its location. Just thought maybe there were some guest houses in similar area that would be worthwhile checking out? Umhlanga and Ballito are to far out of Durban for us.

Many thanks

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,674 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Durban?

Why do you want to be in Durban? Umhlanga Rocks is a much nicer area, is newer, better shopping facilities, restaurants etc. It is also closer to the Airport.

Durban...
Level Contributor
64 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Durban?

Umhlanga Rocks/La Lucia/Glenashley are only 10 mins drive from the city centre. I am not familiar with any guesthouses in the cbd itself, only the big hotels like Suncoast Towers, Southern Sun Elangeni, Hilton, City Lodge and Town Lodge.

Close to cbd are areas like Berea North, Morningside and Essenwood -- 5 to 10 min drive. I heard good things about Essenwood House and The Palms Guesthouse. Both are close to hip and happening Florida and Windemere road -- lots of restaurants, pubs you can go to and unwind.

Florida Quarters hotel is also close to cbd but it is directly located on busy main road.

In between Durban and Umhlanga is Fairway Guesthouse. I didn't stay there but checked the place once for possible venue. It was a lovely place.

10 mins drive away from cbd are areas like La Lucia and Glenashley. Cowrie Cove and Sanchia Luxury Guesthouse are recommended.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,840 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Durban?

Hello and take a general look at accommodation on Durbans 'golden mile'. There are lots of hotels there right on the beach front. The pedestrian walkway runs right past and links one end of the city to the other. I have really enjoyed days wandering up and down there. Last time I stayed though, for the rugby, I used the St James on Venice. A lovely little hotel with bars and restaurants within walking distance.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

8. Re: Where to stay in Durban?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2015, 05:17