We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Durban to Drakensberg day trip in 1 day?

Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Durban to Drakensberg day trip in 1 day?

Staying in Umhlanga for 4 nights and want to see the drakensberg but don't have time for overnight stop, we will have hire car. I have seen the Sani Pass tours. Does anybody have any recommendations for best place to go for a day trip

Thanks

Zulu Safaris
Day Trips, Safaris, City Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
818 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Durban to Drakensberg day trip in 1 day?

My favourite area is the Champagne Valley. Lots of spots for splendid views of the mountains, cafes/restaurants and touristy souvenir shops. Go up the N3 until exit 194 and turn left on the R74 to Winterton then left on the R600 which ends at the end of the valley. Instead you could stay on the R74 for another 50-odd Km's through Bergville to the area of the Northern Berg.

For shorter drives there's also the Valley of 1000 Hills around Hillcrest or the Midlands Meander along the R103 between Howick and Rosetta.

Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Durban to Drakensberg day trip in 1 day?

Sounds good, can you do that in a full day?

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
818 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Durban to Drakensberg day trip in 1 day?

It'd be a longish day but yes, you could do it. Google maps shows 227 Km from Umhlanga to Winterton, say about two and a half hours (sounds about right to me from my experience). Leave at 6 and you'd be in the area for a local breakfast. Spend the day exploring the R600, have lunch somewhere and leave for Umhlanga about 15h30 so you're back before dark.

Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Durban to Drakensberg day trip in 1 day?

I have checked out Google maps and you have me sold, thanks so much

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
818 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Durban to Drakensberg day trip in 1 day?

Two recommendations for you.

Thokosisa, about fifteen minutes by car south of Winterton on the R600 at a cross-roads, has an excellent café for breakfast - also have a look round a very quirky shop above it.

The buffet lunch at the Champagne Castle hotel near the end of the R600 is excellent (probably best to book) and there's a great view of the surrounding mountains from their patio.

And, use exit 194 off the N3 - exit 179 might look quicker/shorter but it's a bad road. (The exits are numbered as Km's from Durban not numerically.)

A good map of the area is available for download at www.drakensberg-tourist-map.com/drakmap.pdf

I hope you have a good day out.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,971 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Durban to Drakensberg day trip in 1 day?

Hello and great advise above. I would also suggest Giants Castle & Didima as places for a day visit. Though Champagne, with Monks Cowl and Thokosisa is more touristy. It depend if you want a day in and around the mountains or are keen to hike. You will need to allow approx 3 to 3 1/2 hours from Umhlanga. It takes me just over 2 1/2 hours from there to Estcourt.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Durban to Drakensberg day trip in 1 day?

This all sounds fantastic, thanks everybody for your input

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
29 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Durban to Drakensberg day trip in 1 day?

Giants Castle or Didima. No contest.

Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Durban to Drakensberg day trip in 1 day?

What/where is Didima?

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,971 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Durban to Drakensberg day trip in 1 day?

Didima is the KZN Wildlife camp/resort in the Cathedral Peak area of the Central Drakensberg. Stunning views up to the mountains, unusual but lovely accommodation, rock art 'museum', swimming pool, bar and restaurant.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN