We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving PE to Durban

Which Durban hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Driving PE to Durban

We fly in to Cape Town and then back from Durban 3 weeks later.

We have booked 4 nights CT and 7 nights Durban either end of the trip.

We have rough outline CT to PE and are happy with this however we are unable to find any information on the drive PE to Durban.

Is it safe? Are there sufficient stops for comfort breaks and fuel? Recommended places to stay en route? Or is it better to fly PE to Durban?

If driving would you say follow coast or inland (N2?)?

All suggestions welcome please

Shelly Beach, South...
Level Contributor
255 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving PE to Durban

It sounds like you are comfortable with driving so I would say drive it, you will get to see a lot of interesting areas of SA which are off the tourist track. From Port Elizabeth to East London we prefer to drive the R72 along the coast – Port Alfred is a lovely stop. Unfortunately from East London to Port Shepstone you cannot follow the coast so have to take the N2.

Overnight stops - I would suggest somewhere just after East London such as Cintsa or Morgans Bay, then drive straight though (about 6 hours) to The KZN South Coast. Drive this section during the day as there can be animals and pedestrians on the road.

If you want to break up this part then head down to Coffee Bay for the night( an hour off the N2 down to the coast) If you are driving straight through then do your stop for fuel and something to eat at one of the large ultra stop petrol stations at Mthataha.

Give yourself a couple of days on the KZN South Coast to explore the stretch of beautiful beaches from Port Edward to Shelly Beach before you head up to Durban.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,247 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving PE to Durban

Agree with previous poster about R72. It is mostly the better road,but you have to go through East London, Plenty of stopping places along the way. Port Alfred is the most convenient, as you have to go through it anyway. Agree also that you should spend the night somewhere East of East London,

Just before Mthatha is a Shell Ultra City, where we usually stop. I am sure there must be better places to eat in town, but we usually go for the convenience of a quick stop to pick up a sandwich and a coldrink, refuel and use the loos. Mthatha can be quite slow to drive through, especially on a Friday or Saturday.

There are 2 options from Mthatha

1. N2 onwards. There were some hectic roadworks between Mount Ayliff and Kokstad, that added huge time to the journey, but that was a while ago. Not sure of the current status, but I am sure they will still be busy with other sections. This is not my favourite part of the road, as our Landrover really struggles with some of the hillls, but it will be much improved once the roadworks are finished.

2. You can take the road to Port St Johns, spend the night there (or maybe the less convenient Coffee Bay (haven't been there)). You can then take the squiggly, slow road from Port St Johns to Port Edward via Lusikisiki and Flagstaff. This road wasn't in good shape at all, the last time I went this way, but it is empty of traffic and lovely and rural. Definitely not a road to do at night though. You can eat in Port Edward or somewhere close by. From Port Edward the road is fine, but it is a toll road, so you are paying for the good road.

I think I would suggest option 2, as you will spend more time of the Wild Coast. The rural areas around Lusikisiki and Flagstaff, might worry you, but I think your fears are groundless.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,062 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving PE to Durban

We drove CT to Port Alfred last April then headed inland to Cradock. Had no probs but you must restrict driving to daylight hrs only esp N. of EL. KZN South Coast is very beautiful. Worth at least one night b4 you hit Durbs.

Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving PE to Durban

Any comments about Safety while driving and travelling through this area?

Thanks!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving PE to Durban

Lisa, the biggest concerns are livestock and lots of pedestrians on the road which is why it is recommended to drive in daytime. no other safety issues to be worried about, just common sense...when leaving the car make sure valuable items aren'tvisible and make sure you lock the doors.

6. Re: Driving PE to Durban

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2015, 07:17