We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation near Durban airport for early morning flight?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
384 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation near Durban airport for early morning flight?

Have been looking for a budget option for what would be an overnight stay before an 8am flight. I will need to return a car rental/hire at the airport so I'm looking to get there by 6am.

Is staying downtown advisable, safe? How will the drive to the airport be that early?

Or which suburbs instead are recommended?

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation near Durban airport for early morning flight?

Hello and really enjoy staying in Durban and wandering up and down the Golden Mile. However it is a busy stretch of road between Durban & the airport. I would suggest you look to stay in Ballito.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
105 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation near Durban airport for early morning flight?

Hi - I stayed at Ballito after arriving at King Shaka airport. It was only about 20 minutes away. The Coco de Mer was excellent but I'm sure there are many other choices.

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation near Durban airport for early morning flight?

If you need to arrive there by 6am and on the round before 6am you shouldn't have much traffic at all - so no matter where you stay, even if its in central Durban, it will probably only take 20mins. I would stay in Umhlanga if I were you as it is in between central Durban and the airport.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation near Durban airport for early morning flight?

You could also look in Umdloti - only 10 minutes from the airport.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,841 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation near Durban airport for early morning flight?

I second Coco de Mer but I am not sure it can be described as 'budget'.

6. Re: Accommodation near Durban airport for early morning flight?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2016, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Durban